Upped Calories - Gaining - When to Lower?

I've read with fever over the past month about upping calories and decided to give it a try. MFP had me at 1540. I was losing 1-2 lbs. a week. I did all the calculations (numerous times and still not sure how many calcs to eat), and I got anywhere from 1800 to 2300 daily calories. I upped my calories to 1825. I'm downright scared to eat more than that because I'm gaining now, not losing. I've read it is common that a gain could happen the first couple of weeks, but to give it at least a month. Is this the average time? I mean, if I gain four weeks in a row, that sort of defeats the purpose and feel I'll be back to square one in having to re-lose those pounds.

How long should I give this "eating more" philosphy before I go back to eating less?

I have 85 pounds to lose and before MFP was on WW (actually gained on WW!). I've been trying to lose weight for what seems like forever, so this isn't new to me. (I won't go into all the challenges I've faced over the past 3 years which changed my body and metabolism, but to make it simple - I battled and survived cancer).

Replies

• ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    I upped my calories and the progress has stalled somewhat, but I still seem to lose 0.5 to 1 lbs a week. Maybe you are retaining more water?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    There are a few options. If you gained 4 weeks in a row, back off 200 calories. There is a chance that you could have a slower metabolism. But we need to know what you are doing in terms of exercise. A quick look at your diary and it appears most days you are pretty heavy in the carbs and low in protein. I would change your ratios to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. Also, do us a favor and use the link below to estimate your BMR and post the results. Also, let us know your workout routine and lifestyle/job so we can relook at your caloric needs.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    It sounds like your metabolic rate has decreased and your hormones might be out of whack. You could try a full diet break. It only takes about 2 weeks. Great read about it...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

After the break, my rec would be to eat enough to net above your bmr daily. I upped my calories to 1/2 lb week loss (eating 2,000-2,300 daily) and net a couple hundred over bmr. I am losing and I feel amazing! Following mfp recs, I felt deprived and frustrated. I def think you should stick with eating more! Food is awesome! :)
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Bump...
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    You have to give it at least 4-6 weeks before your decide to cut back. You haven't been giving your body proper fuel and now you are so it thinks it has to hold on to weight for the next period of no food. Once your body gets used to being fed the right amounts it will start to let the weight come off. That said if at the end of the 6 weeks you still have not started with the downward flow of numbers you should then cut back your calories by around 150 for a few weeks. Do not go back down to 1200 all at once give your body time to get used to getting more food.
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    bump
  • Bebisc
    Bebisc Posts: 8
    I believe you said you were LOSING at 1540 so I'm not sure why you felt the need to up your calories. When I upped mine it was because I had STOPPED losing. In a 2 month period at 1200 calories a day I had not lost a single ounce. So I upped to 1540 and have lost a few more lbs. If I had to suggest anything it would be to try about halfway between your original caloric intake and the amount you are on now. Also agree with others to increase protein and be sure to exercise. I believe you will eventually start to lose weight again.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    I wouldn't have changed anything that wasn't broken to begin with. Why not go back to what you were doing before?
  • You may not have needed to lower, 1540 isn't that low for most but it is hard to tell b/c we don't know your stats. So yes please tell us your stats, bmr, tdee:)
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Thank you for the replies.

Here are my stats:

Military Body Fat is 64.5%
    Katch McArdle BMR is 1371
    TDEE is 2600

I am inbetween sedentary and light active. I am working 2x week on the average (Walking, Wii Tennis or bowling). Due to injuries, I am limited in what I can do.

Fat2Fit says I should eat 2051 calories for Sedentary and 2350 for light activity. I averaged it out to 2200. Is this correct? I mean, that just seems like alot of calories to eat and lose weight. I just feel like I'm missing something.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Thank you for the replies.

Here are my stats:

Military Body Fat is 64.5%
    Katch McArdle BMR is 1371
    TDEE is 2600

I am inbetween sedentary and light active. I am working 2x week on the average (Walking, Wii Tennis or bowling). Due to injuries, I am limited in what I can do.

Fat2Fit says I should eat 2051 calories for Sedentary and 2350 for light activity. I averaged it out to 2200. Is this correct? I mean, that just seems like alot of calories to eat and lose weight. I just feel like I'm missing something.

Based on that information, i would aim for 1800 calories and change your ratios to 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats. It may seem you have a slower metabolism based on age and weight.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    It took me 3 weeks to show a loss and that was just a lb, BUT I have lost inches! Your BMR is similar to mine (mine is 1363 and TDEE is 2051). My suggestion is to set your daily goal as 1880 (lightly active minus 20%) then aim to eat that BUT if you can't eat that much yet just make sure your NET does not go below your BMR of 1371. Therefore if you eat 1,500 1 day but burn 200 cals through exercise you will need to eat 71 cals to get to your BMR. See how you go, good luck x