Healthy food shopping on a budget.

Options
Right so i need to go shopping and buy in some healthy foods and start planning meals which also my son (fussy son lol)..will eat. Now my list so far consists of bottled water, veg, salad, fruit, and chicken breasts? Ive got to say i have been a lazy cook in the past everything from the freezer etc.. im just after a few hints as to what to A) buy in, and b) what kind of meals i can do which is healthy but my son will also enjoy. He wont eat what im eating all the time but i do want to try and get him to eat most foods im eating as if he had it his way he would live off pizzas!!! Thanks hope ive got across my rambling message all tips and advice greatly welcome lol. Oh and obv i would like to buy in things that wont break the bank balance.

Replies

• frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are from but i'm based in the UK and manage to get all of my food for a week for around £20!

I shop in Morrisons and buy a lot of the frozen savers foods - 97p for huge bag of vegetables is great. You can also buy frozen chicken and fish fillets that just have to be defrosted in the mornings :)

Buying all your salad ingredients rather than the ready chopped bags saves money also!

Good luck :)
  • trababes1971
    trababes1971 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you are from but i'm based in the UK and manage to get all of my food for a week for around £20!

I shop in Morrisons and buy a lot of the frozen savers foods - 97p for huge bag of vegetables is great. You can also buy frozen chicken and fish fillets that just have to be defrosted in the mornings :)

Buying all your salad ingredients rather than the ready chopped bags saves money also!

Good luck :)

Hi hun, im also based in the UK :). I tend to go to farm foods and asda lol so i guess i need to look for loads of bargains ;). I need to stop buying biscuits and naughty foods me thinks lol. xxxxx
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    If you need to watch the budget, I'd scrub the bottled water. If you like it chilled, keep a couple of bottles of tap water in the fridge and save the money to buy fish or herbs or veg. More veg!! Home made veg soup is terrific for a tight purse and therapeutic to make - all the chopping is soothing, and a bowlful of soup as a light meal or before a main course in a larger meal is filling and good for you without "costing" too many calories.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    buy dried beans and rice

whole chicken (not just breasts or boneless/skinless) and package it yourself

frozen veggies

frozen fruit

buy in season

buy in bulk

make chilis, stews, and casseroles to get more bang for your buck and pack leftovers for lunch
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    I would say you are already buying a lot of the things that tend to be cheaper. One of my favorite meals is pizza but it is very high in calories but I found a way to eat it and is SUPER healthy in comparison. I take a whole wheat tortilla and spread on some ricotta cheese, then canned stewed tomatoes chopped up (spaghetti/pizza sauce is obviously good too), then veggies (or whatever toppings) and it is just so good. You can pop it in the oven for a few minutes and is quick, too. For your son you could add a little extra cheese on top but for me the ricotta is just enough. Seriously though, cheap and yummy.
  • MommyBea
    MommyBea Posts: 84
    Options
    I have a tip on saving money with the bottled water thing...i bought a Brita Jug that filters the tap water..ive saved lots of money with this and not having to buy bottled water!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Everything you need to know on Poor Girl Eats Well. I especially love her $25 shopping carts.

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/
  • trababes1971
    Options
    I have a tip on saving money with the bottled water thing...i bought a Brita Jug that filters the tap water..ive saved lots of money with this and not having to buy bottled water!

Oooh where do i get one of those? xxxx
  • trababes1971
    Options
    I would say you are already buying a lot of the things that tend to be cheaper. One of my favorite meals is pizza but it is very high in calories but I found a way to eat it and is SUPER healthy in comparison. I take a whole wheat tortilla and spread on some ricotta cheese, then canned stewed tomatoes chopped up (spaghetti/pizza sauce is obviously good too), then veggies (or whatever toppings) and it is just so good. You can pop it in the oven for a few minutes and is quick, too. For your son you could add a little extra cheese on top but for me the ricotta is just enough. Seriously though, cheap and yummy.

Lol god reading that has made me hungry ;) but thanks hun for tip as i will probs do that, i love ricotta and i adore my veggies xxx
  • trababes1971
    Options
    Everything you need to know on Poor Girl Eats Well. I especially love her $25 shopping carts.

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

Thankyou i shall take a look at this :) xx
  • trababes1971
    Options
    buy dried beans and rice

whole chicken (not just breasts or boneless/skinless) and package it yourself

frozen veggies

frozen fruit

buy in season

buy in bulk

make chilis, stews, and casseroles to get more bang for your buck and pack leftovers for lunch

Thankyou hun..i think i will make some soups etc and freeze ..some good tips ive been given thankyou xx
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are are on a budget, bottled water seems an unnecessary expense. Is the tap water in your area not drinkable? If not, you would save money in the long run by investing in a water filter, either for your tap or the pitcher kind. They really aren't that much.

Soups are good inexpensive healthy food that most children will eat. Look online for some good soup recipes.

Bean or bean and chicken burritos are another inexpensive food that can be made healthy. Just look for whole grain or low carb wraps to use as the tortilla.

Eggs are healthy cheap food. Omelets are delicious filling and can be low cal if you use the right ingredients.

Most children like mashed potatoes. Substitue cauliflower for half of the potatoes and use fat free milk to cut the calories without changing the taste much.
  • trababes1971
    Options
    If you are are on a budget, bottled water seems an unnecessary expense. Is the tap water in your area not drinkable? If not, you would save money in the long run by investing in a water filter, either for your tap or the pitcher kind. They really aren't that much.

Soups are good inexpensive healthy food that most children will eat. Look online for some good soup recipes.

Bean or bean and chicken burritos are another inexpensive food that can be made healthy. Just look for whole grain or low carb wraps to use as the tortilla.

Eggs are healthy cheap food. Omelets are delicious filling and can be low cal if you use the right ingredients.

Most children like mashed potatoes. Substitue cauliflower for half of the potatoes and use fat free milk to cut the calories without changing the taste much.

God i could live on mash lol!! That is my own downfall im a carb fiend i think lol..love mash with lashings of butter etc. If im not eating real mashed potatoes im eating the dried stuff . Love omlettes although not very good at doing them always end up a mess ha but i do a nice scrambled egg ;). Thanks hun for tips i am adding all tis info etc to my shopping list :). xxx
  • chellechelle38
    chellechelle38 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like ground chicken , use in alot of my receipes...my kids seem to like it ...tacos ...meatballs etc...