Chia Seeds

Options
Hi guys! I just purchased Chia Seeds and have been trying them. What is everyone's take on them? I purchased them for one reason, I heard that they were high in fiber. Have any of you tried them? How do you eat/drink them? Any suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I've been eating them for about the last month give or take. I usually add them to my oatmeal, cereal, yogurt or a smoothie. I like that they are pretty much tasteless so it doesn't alter the flavor of your food. I too heard they are good for fiber but the best part is they have the Omega 3's and those are the Omega's good for your heart. I figure what the heck, they are probably adding some good to my diet.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Same here. Just put them in my oatmeal or my smoothies.
  • CrazyFly7
    CrazyFly7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did not know that about the Omega 3's. That is a plus also. I see, so you have them as is w/ oatmeal, cereal, yogurt or a smoothie. I saw a recipe in which you add it into water so I drink it, but I will have to try them dried w/ one of these suggestions. Interesting.
  • CrazyFly7
    Options
    Do you feel that you've seen a difference w/ them in your diet to help w/ fiber?
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I just started having them so I haven't had enough time to see if they make a difference.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I see any major differences after about a month of eating them. I know if I put them in something like oatmeal or cereal it does seem a little more filling. Even if I just reap the benefits of the Omega 3's then I figure that has to count for something. The jury is still out though, I am waiting to see if I notice any type of difference anywhere, or with anything. I'm hoping it's not some fad. I was using ground flax seed and didn't notice any difference using that.

*I add 1 tablespoon to whatever I am eating, be it my morning oatmeal, or a yogurt for a snack, etc.
  • CrazyFly7
    Options
    Me too. haha, that's why I'm asking so many questions about them. Well, I guess they can't hurt anything! What else do you do to get fiber into your diet?
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just bought some too and am keen to see what to do with them also :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Just like most "fad" health kicks, this is just another. A couple of years ago it was "Acai".

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CrazyFly7
    Options
    niner: what are some suggestions from you to get more fiber?
  • jens_mission
    jens_mission Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been sprinkling chia seeds on all my meals for the past week. I started using them by a suggestion from a friend to help lower my cholesterol. I have noticed that they make me feel more satisfied with my meals and also helped my bowels to be more regular.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Just don't bake with them or heat them. They lose their potency when cooked.

I add mine to granola.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Chia has lots of fiber and ALA an omega 3, similar to flax seed but double the fiber.
  • uniqsol
    uniqsol Posts: 36
    Options
    I've been using "purely elizabeth" granola in my yogurt for awhile & it contains Chia seeds (plus other "good stuff" - anyone that's vegan, gluten catuious or just wants a purely natural granola check it out).

http://purelyelizabeth.com/OriginalAncientGrainGranolaCereal.htm

It's really good, and I can definitely tell it's working on my system, lol.
    I have a friend that used to just put the seeds & water, allow them to soak a little & then just chug it. He said the same, though he did note that he's cut back b/c it seemed like everyday that method was just a bit too much for his system.
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try 1/2 cup almond milk
    2tbsp chia seed
    1/2 tsp cinammon

I stir it up and leave it in the fridge over night. Kinda like tapioca pudding. It doesn't have to be left over night but at least 20 min.

Also 1 tbsp Chia seeds mixed with 1 cup frozen raspberies, let thaw add 1/4-1/2 cup greak yogurt.
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I usually put mine in Minute Maid reduced calorie orange juice, let it sit 5-10 minutes and then "eat" my OJ with a spoon. Doesn't alter the taste; still tastes like OJ. Lots better than in water I think....

Here's a recipe that I tried as well:

Chocolate Chia Seed "Pudding"

2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup almond milk (or your favorite alternative)
    2 tbsp agave, brown rice syrup, or stevia to taste
    1 tbsp cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix all together, cover and let sit for at least 20 minutes. I left mine in the refridgerator over night. If too thick, just add a little almond milk to thin.
  • desiree516
    desiree516 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just like most "fad" health kicks, this is just another. A couple of years ago it was "Acai".

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Whats wrong with a fad if its good for you?
  • desiree516
    desiree516 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use this recipe for a yummy nutritious treat!

http://fooddoodles.com/2011/03/15/chocolate-chia-seed-pudding/
  • sheschemes
    Options
    I haven't seen any significant increase in my fiber from adding chia seeds to my morning yogurt, but then again I don't add very much. I've been eating it for the omega-3 since I don't eat enough fish.

If you're really working on fiber then you should go for more beans and veggies. The chia seeds may help a little, but it won't be a big percentage of your daily fiber intake unless you're eating a LOT of them.
  • jbro456
    jbro456 Posts: 15
    Options
    bump