Sit-ups alternative?

Options
Wishful
Wishful Posts: 618 Member
I really need to find some kind of equivalent exercise to work my stomach muscles as sit-ups kill my back. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    hanging leg raises
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    crunches. sit-ups are really bad for your back and neck. Crunches do the same thing.
  • jchudon
    jchudon Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've found that "crunches" would not hurt my back that much and combined with some "plank" It's given me a little 6-pack :D

Crunches
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crunch_(exercise)
    (25 in a row at the end of my exercises routine)

Plank
    http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_10.htm
    (15 X 30-60 sec)

I don't even do sit-ups anymore since I've discovered these 2 exercises :blushing:
  • pandyp
    pandyp Posts: 5
    Options
    Crunches on an exercise ball! I have the same problems and it gives your back a nice stretch if you sit towards the front of the ball and lean all the way back while crunch forward. Four sets of 25 a day and you'll see a difference!

Good luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    well, lets be specific, INCORRECT sit ups hurt the back. But very few people perform a correct sit up.
    Crunches are less stressful on the back correct, other activities are reverse crunches, planks, side planks, hanging knee bends, bycycle crunches, medicine ball twists, exercise ball routines (there are tons, google exercise ball core and you'll find a million of them), Bosu ball pushups are also good.

There are so many, I can't list them all, those I mentioned are just off the top of my head.

Just remember, with both sit ups and crunches, your chin should be UP AND OUT. you should be able to read a sign on the ceiling the whole time, never find yourself at eye level with your knees, never tuck your chin. You keep your chin out and your abs contracted during the routine, and you're back shouldn't hurt (unless you already have some prior injury).

speaking of which, I'm off to the gym to do my legs and core (lots of core today, I skipped it yesterday so I could focus on my death workout, AKA Tabata protocol :tongue: )
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!:bigsmile: