First day with personal trainer, what should I expect?

Options
I have never had a session with a personal trainer and I was wondering what I should expect from her, I have an hour booked.

Replies

• marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    Well you should expect (or hope for) your trainer to ask you a lot of questions about what your goals are (do you want to run a 5K or just get into shape), your current activity level, your medical history in terms of chronic illnesses. My two cents is, just make sure they ask you about injuries you have had in the past. If they dont ask you that, then you probably want another trainer.

Assuming all of those things go well, the first session is usually a get to know you session. They work you out (sometimes hard) but my trainer really used that time to guage where I was at, what I could handle and how to set up soem workouts that worked best for me.

You are going to have a great time though, I have noticed such a difference in my body and myself since I started iwth a trainer!
  • gafrausto
    gafrausto Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'll add that your training plan should incorporate exercises that you enjoy. There is nothing wrong with trying something new...you may like it, but if your workout involves exercises that you just do not want to do or that bore you it can be more difficult to follow through with your plans.

Have Fun!!
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with Marbit statements. General information, and gauge where you are at. Our trainers show you the machines at the gym so you can work out on your own and give you tips of things to do and then the next time they hit you with the "training"! I love working with the PT because they have so many great ideas and they are tailoring it to what you told them your goals are. At the beginning it is hard and they always pushed me further than I would have gone if I was doing it myself. But now I'm like, WHAT? The Hour is over? lol
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    They'll probably..

-take weight and measurements (if they havent already)
    -find out your goals
    - find out if you have injuries, past surgeries etc to see what you shouldnt be doing
    - find out your experience using weights/machines
    - give you a work out and gauge you to see how you respond to them.

have a good time! i really liked it when i had personal training the first time. They are good for keeping you motivated if you arent as self- motivated. Get in there and make sure you use your time with them wisely and dont be afraid to ask questions.
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    to go look for your Ben-Gay later for those sore muscles...ha ha
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    If it were me, then get ready for some pain!!!!!:laugh:

Other than that, the above mentioned is what you should expect.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition