Both feet go numb when walking 30+ minutes ...

Options
It has happened my whole life. It comes and goes. I have had multiple tests done over the years. Tested me for MS and I can't remember what else. All tests were negative.

I walked 30 min today and sure enough, both feet went numb and they were so tingly I could not walk the hour I wanted to. I will try again later.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what it was or has anything helped?

Replies

• tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It has happened my whole life. It comes and goes. I have had multiple tests done over the years. Tested me for MS and I can't remember what else. All tests were negative.

I walked 30 min today and sure enough, both feet went numb and they were so tingly I could not walk the hour I wanted to. I will try again later.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what it was or has anything helped?

I have one foot that goes numb when I run. Have you tried the chiropractor? That has helped me a lot, as well as lacing my shoes differently. I cross the laces normally at the bottom, run them up the sides, and then cross them again at the top, so that the laces don't go back and forth across the whole top of my foot. That has helped a lot too. My foot almost never goes numb now.
  • paendrag
    paendrag Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    One of my feet would go numb after walking or standing for more than 15 minutes. The issue was connected to a pinched nerve in my lower back (actually right at my left hip). There was never any real pain associated with it, just a lot of tingling and numbness.

Instead of walking, I went to the Y and started using a recumbent bike, and I did stretching exercises targeted at the lower back almost daily. The numbness eventually stopped; however, 120 lbs and a 15 months later, I still get the beginnings of that tingling sensation if I push my workout too hard and/or dont stretch properly.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I would try a few things. First, see a physical therapist or even a good masseuse. It's quite possible you have a slight nerve pinch causing the numbness...that can be fixed relatively easily :) Also, make sure your shoes aren't laced too tightly. I'm guilty of this--I always think they're too loose, then my toes start to get tingly and I have to loosen em. You can also try compression socks to get the blood circulating better in your calves which can lead to the numbness. Good luck!