Cardio VS. Weights for all over shrinkage!

Options
I hold most of my fat in my upper arms and upper thighs and I am sick and tired of it! :P

I recently joined Lifetime fitness and did a few tests that gave me my BMR (~1900 cals). Currently I am working out about 4 days a week, 2-3 days cardio, 1-2 days weights. I have a personal trainer one day a week and he ONLY makes me do weights. I am in the process of upping how many days I go to the gym, work in progress.

What's better for getting rid of the jiggly stuff? Cardio? Weights? I like both and really don't have a preference. I want to lose about 15 pounds of fat, although I don't care much about what the scale says these days, it's all about how I fit in my jeans.

Any thoughts or experience?

Thank youuu! :)

Replies

• caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i noticed a massive difference when I began lifting heavier weights.

I wish someone had told me years ago to ditch long cardio and high rep low weights and go heavy...my body got a whole lot smaller very quick doing 30 mins cardio and heavy weights.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

I wish someone had told me years ago to ditch long cardio and high rep low weights and go heavy...my body got a whole lot smaller very quick doing 30 mins cardio and heavy weights.

^^ This, Lifting weights made all the difference in transforming my body.

Lift heavy
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Lift heavy

Ditto!
  • TranceGirl
    TranceGirl Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Okay awesome so I will up my weight training ;)
  • NickDow
    NickDow Posts: 8
    Options
    Here is a link for a perfect example of the difference between what just cardio will do vs cardio and weight training.

http://www.liftingrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sprinter-vs-marathoner.jpg

Both will get you to lose the bodyfat, but.... well, what body type would you rather have?
  • TranceGirl
    Options
    Here is a link for a perfect example of the difference between what just cardio will do vs cardio and weight training.

http://www.liftingrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sprinter-vs-marathoner.jpg

Both will get you to lose the bodyfat, but.... well, what body type would you rather have?

The sprinter most definitely! :D thanks!
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kjmarks11
    kjmarks11 Posts: 19
    Options
    Ditto here too! I had a couple friends at the gym convince me to get off the treadmill/elliptical and start lifting with them. I dropped 10lbs so fast I couldn't believe it! I now lift heavy 4 times/week and when I do go for a run I have tons more endurance and my skinny jeans are starting to feel loose. I'm only 3 months into this change and the results are amazing for me. LOVE LIFTING!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and do cardio. I love running and other cardio so I keep that up. But I don't do as long a session. I do shorter cardio sessions of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). It is suppose to help burn more fat than traditional cardio.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Every one is different. What works for one person might not work for you. For me personally I have to do cardio and weights. If I do just weights and ditch the cardio I gain weight. It's been trial and error for me but I discovered that I have to do both: Cardio leans me out, lifting gives me muscles. I do 30 minutes of cardio before lifting and about 60 minutes of lifting. I lift as heavy as I can meaning that by time I'm on my second set and around the 5th or 6th rep I'm pretty tired. I have also begun incorporating two more cardio sessions in my day in the form of a run and a long, very brisk walk.

I do agree though that lifting heavy -- or as heavy as you can without compromising your form and hurting yourself -- is the way to go.
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    You will never get the results from cardio that you do from weight training. But it has to be intense training.

Muscle is the key to everything we are trying to do here. I lost 50 lbs. by diet and weight lifting alone......zero cardio
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! Best of luck to ya!
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

Lift heavy

Ditto!

agreed. Although right now I'm cardio focused for my first 1/2 marathon! I do try to do weights at least 2 times a week
  • Jstewartdesigns
    Jstewartdesigns Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the proper nutrition which is important in maintaining and gaining lean muscle mass. You have to get enough protein to support your muscle mass.
  • TranceGirl
    Options
    Thank you all so much! Im currently on a strict 1900 calorie diet consisting of LOTS of protein and veggies and a good amount of fruits, carbs, and fats. I can actually FEEL the difference from one day of eating crappy. Also when my diet is lacking protein throughout the day, I supplement with a whey isolate to make sure I have roughly 70g of protein daily. I've been carrying 10 extra pounds (in my eyes) around with me for YEARS and I am finally taking every step possible to get lean and mean. I want to see muscle definition and be strong.

Looks like I will be incorporating weight training and cardio together.

How often do you all work out?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

THIS
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I work out 7 days a week. I go to the gym 5 days and on the weekends or the days that I'm too tired for the gym I'll do two brisk walks and one run. I've been doing this for about 4 weeks now and now I'm at the point where I can't take a true rest day. I'm too antsy and feel the need to be doing SOMETHING!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I lift 3 days a week and try to do HIIT twice a week and longer cardio sessions (half marathoner) two days a week. My gym has weird hours, so it generally ends up that I can't make it at least once a week and that becomes my rest day. I always try to get in a few miles of walking though. I like being an active person :)
  • TranceGirl
    Options
    Fantastic, I'll up it a notch or two :)
  • JVandesteeg
    JVandesteeg Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Heavy weights, as in how much??? I need any type of advice! I currently work out 4 days a week with a small group in my hometown, and 2 days a week, I run at our local track, but I still have serious "flab" on my arms and stomach. I'm trying not to get discouraged...I know this can't happen over night- but it kind of makes me depressed seeing all the flab when I've been working so hard!