Are your goals too unrealistic?

Options
In December I had an appointment with my doctor and he urged me to lose weight. His instructions were combine a 1500 calorie diet and 30 minutes daily exercise to lose 30 pounds by the END of June. (6months)

So I joined a group of friends and we decided we were going to aim to loose 30 pounds in 3 months. I cut my calories to 1300 and worked out 5 days a week (on most weeks). I lost 10 pounds and couldn’t lose any more. (my ticker says otherwise but I put in the wrong starting weight and cant change it!)

Last week I went back to my doctor and told him how discouraged I was that I only lost the 10 pounds since January. I thought I was doing something wrong. He told me that I need to go back up to 1500 calories and work out at least 5 days a week, consistently. He also said that 10 pounds in 3 months was a healthy weight loss and if I stayed on that pace I would lose 40 pounds in a year. I felt so much better. I never looked at it like that.

He taught me that my original weight loss goals were unrealistic and that I wasn't going to be able to maintain that diet because my body needs more and as I lose weight I can cut calories. He assured me that a 3-4 pound weight loss a month was realistic and achievable. I feel so relieved and ready to tackle my NEW goal of 10 pounds per 3 month cycle.

We like to beat ourselves up and give up because we do not reach these unrealistic goals that we set for ourselves. Its okay to reach for the stars and challenge yourself but be honest with yourself as well. I wanted it to be quick and transformational but I am opting to go the slow and steady route now so that I am not so sad when I get on the scale and "only" lost one pound. Lifestyle changes are so much more important to keeping the weight loss consistent than trying extreme measures.

Anyone else here had a similar experience?