Low Sodium Tuna?

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
Is there a brand of canned tuna that has less sodium? I like a salad with a can of tuna, but 1 can has 500mg sodium.

thanks!

Replies

• jessicaelimb
    Options
    I have wondered this too, but I also wondered how much of that sodium was in the water that was drained out?
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this too, but I also wondered how much of that sodium was in the water that was drained out?

Probably not as much as one would hope. :frown:

I have thought about tuna in the past and I'm about to the point where I'm going to buy a couple of raw tuna steaks, marinate them in something that I can control, and then bake/grill them. Then I can shred it up and use it like one would normally use tuna from the can.

...not sure when I'll get to it, though, because that's a big step for me! :wink:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Have you tried tuna in the pouch? I buy StarKist chunk light tuna in the pouch, and it is only 300mg of sodium per serving. Still not great, but it's better, right? Plus, I like the consistency a lot better, especially for salads, and they are super convenient to bring in your lunch bag b/c one pouch is a serving and you don't have to drain it.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I started getting tuna and canning it myself it tastes way better. You could also get tuna steaks cook them on the grill. They are great with some lemon and you will be more in control of your food. I also do the same thing with Halibut. It would be great with any firm white fish.

Good luck!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I have thought about buying the steaks, but I really use the canned tuna on a day where I don't know what I will have for lunch or dinner. It is so handy to have a bunch of cans that like, never expire. I will check out the pouches though.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    How do I go about canning it myself? I assume it stays good longer that way?