Is this plan enough?

Options
Hello,

My work recently started offering classes 2x per week for 12 weeks with a well-established trainer. The class is described as a "60min group exercise class that mixes callisthenic and body weight exercises with interval and strength training, balance activities, and stretching."

I am currently running about 2x a week for 45-60min, and rarely strength train. I was thinking of alternating the days I run with the days I take the class, leaving me at 60min per day, 4x per week, for 12 weeks.

Will I notice a significant improvement after 12 weeks? I'm not looking to lose weight, but I would like to increase my muscle strength and add more firmness/definition to my body. The class seems to be more strength oriented, but will I see a difference if I'm only strength training 2x per week and cardio in between? I've been told the class is fairly intense, just unsure if it will be enough.

Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 2 x 1hr of strength per week, yes - you'll definitely feel the difference after 12 weeks.
  • Rboch
    Rboch Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Strength training is key for reshaping the body. There are many contributing factors though; I'm not sure what type of exercises are involved in the class you will be taking but I would get a feel for it and see how you feel after. Heavier weights will get you better results, especially if you don't have much/any weight to lose but if you have never done strength training before you might need to work your way up in weights. Also, take a look at your diet. Nutrition is really important, make sure you're getting lots of protein, complex carbs (whole wheat bread, brown rice, beans), and healthy fats (almonds, peanut butter). Lots of water. If you want to see a difference in 12 weeks you will have to work hard but its possible :)