The dough scooped out phenomenon

Now I know I'm not the only one that does this, because I've seen it done before. Maybe it's just a New Yorker thing. I dunno. A plain bagel is usually something like 250-300 cal depending on which one you get and where and how it's made. Add cream cheese or whatever else topping to that and you're looking at another 100-200 (Feel free to correct me if I'm overestimating). It's easily one of the worst, but also the most convenient foods you can get when you're on the run and don't have time to sit down and eat somewhere.

I don't eat bagels, because I have an issue with gluten. I'm not gluten free, I haven't been able to do that so far, but I do try to avoid it if I can. Whenever I'm stuck in a place where there is nothing but bagels available, I always get it with the "dough scooped out". I of course know that this will not show up in the database and I'd add it, except I don't know how many calories that would be. I think it's basically the difference b/w a regular pizza and a pizza with a really thin crust. I posted this on my status, but nobody was able to give me answer and further more, nobody knew what the heck I was talking about.

I figured posting on the forums would greatly improve my chances of getting an answer for this question.
Any takers? Anyone?

Replies

• Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    I'm curious as well.
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    I suppose if it were me, I'd probably estimate what percentage of the bagel I think was removed. If you think 25-30% was removed, maybe go ahead and log it, but log it as .7 or .75 of a bagel. I think estimating is probably better than not logging it at all. :drinker:
  • orange_you_glad
    orange_you_glad Posts: 38 Member
    I would try weighing the bagel before and after it gets scooped out. You'll need to buy one to take it home, of course, but I think that would be a pretty good way to estimate. For example, if your bagel weighs 3.5oz before you scoop it out, and it weighs 2oz afterwards, then you could take the total bagel calories and multiply it by .7 to get a rough estimate of the calories.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    How often do you find yourself "stuck in a place where only bagels are available?"

That's odd to me. I don't believe I've even been stuck in a place with nothing but bagels.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    How often do you find yourself "stuck in a place where only bagels are available?"

That's odd to me. I don't believe I've even been stuck in a place with nothing but bagels.

Clearly you have never been to 'Nothing But Bagels'. LOL
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member

Lmao. Not very helpful, but funny none the less.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member

This too. Lol
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    I would try weighing the bagel before and after it gets scooped out. You'll need to buy one to take it home, of course, but I think that would be a pretty good way to estimate. For example, if your bagel weighs 3.5oz before you scoop it out, and it weighs 2oz afterwards, then you could take the total bagel calories and multiply it by .7 to get a rough estimate of the calories.

On a serious note, though, I agree with this. If you can weigh it before and after, you can work a little math-magic to get a good calorie estimate.
  • angeldaae

LOL :laugh: No, I haven't. I didn't know such a place existed.

Sounds like somewhere I should never visit.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Log it as a flagel?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    I searched the database for "bagel scooped." There are six entries. I don't vouch for the accuracy of any of them, but they might be a good place to start.
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    I just eat the mini-bagels....I think they are around 100 calories. But I agree....I would guesstimate the portion sized removed and deduct down (but keep it to the high side).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    get a scale and base it on weight. If a 300 cal bagel weighs X and yours is the same type and weighs x-z, then you can get the amount of cals on your bagel. lets say your new bagel weighs 200 grams and the original was 350. SO if 350 = 300 then 200 =300/350*200 = 171 calories.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member

Wait till you get your wings.. it is right next door to heaven!
  • sla1252012
    sla1252012 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm assuming that if you're stuck in a place that has nothing but bagels, you're not going to have the luxury of a scale to weigh it out either. I was born and raised in NY so I know exactly what you mean.

I would however scoop out the dough myself so that I could compare what I've taken out versus what I'm actually eating and then adjust the serving accordingly..1/2, 3/4 etc.

Also, you could log it as a "Bagel Thin"...it's basically half the size (in most instances) of a regular bagel...same outside but much less dough used.
  • treetop57
    I'm assuming that if you're stuck in a place that has nothing but bagels, you're not going to have the luxury of a scale to weigh it out either. I was born and raised in NY so I know exactly what you mean.

I would however scoop out the dough myself so that I could compare what I've taken out versus what I'm actually eating and then adjust the serving accordingly..1/2, 3/4 etc.

Also, you could log it as a "Bagel Thin"...it's basically half the size (in most instances) of a regular bagel...same outside but much less dough used.

There are any number of solutions:

1. Buy three: One unscooped, two scooped. Eat one of the scooped. Hermetically seal the other two and weigh them at the end of the day so that your diary is precise.
    2. Buy just the scooped bagel, but ask for the scoopings to go. Sell them in a hermetic bag and weight once you get home and subtract from a whole bagel.
    3. Buy two scooped bagels. Eat one. Take the other home and burn in a bomb calorimeter. This is by far the most precise method!

bomb-calorimeter.jpg

4. Realize that any estimate you make is going to be inexact and enter your best guess. After all, even the nutrition info on packaged food is only required to be accurate within +/-20% (according to US FDA regulations).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I suppose if it were me, I'd probably estimate what percentage of the bagel I think was removed. If you think 25-30% was removed, maybe go ahead and log it, but log it as .7 or .75 of a bagel. I think estimating is probably better than not logging it at all. :drinker:

Yep, this is what I would do as well.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    eat half
  • angeldaae
    There are any number of solutions:

1. Buy three: One unscooped, two scooped. Eat one of the scooped. Hermetically seal the other two and weigh them at the end of the day so that your diary is precise.
    2. Buy just the scooped bagel, but ask for the scoopings to go. Sell them in a hermetic bag and weight once you get home and subtract from a whole bagel.
    3. Buy two scooped bagels. Eat one. Take the other home and burn in a bomb calorimeter. This is by far the most precise method!
    4. Realize that any estimate you make is going to be inexact and enter your best guess. After all, even the nutrition info on packaged food is only required to be accurate within +/-20% (according to US FDA regulations).

Your methods lack a crucial variable: human error. If an individual is responsible for scooping out the scooped bagels, he or she will invariabley scoop a different amount each time. I propose:

5. Bring your food scale to the restaurant. Ask the server to bring you an unscooped bagel. Weigh it, then return it for it to be scooped. Re-weigh it upon scoopage. Then return it again for the application of desired toppings.
  • treetop57
    Yes, but the bagel shop may be at a different latitude, longitude, and altitude from the place where the specific heat of bagel material was originally measured. Your method doesn't take into account the non-spherical shape of the earth or the inverse square dependence of gravity. Those factors are crucial!

:wink: