Hello Protein Powder Drinkers!

Options
Hey everyone,

I bought my first small container of Genuine Health - Protein + Natural Chocolate from Shoppers Drug Mart today. It's 110 calories, 25g of protein, 0g of sugar and only 2g of carbs. Problem is, I mixed it with water and it was a shock to my mouth upon the initial taste.
Any ideas of what to mix the power with to make it taste better without adding too many calories? Also, should I only be consuming the protein powder on workout days or everyday? This is new for me and will be working out 3-5 times a week.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I like to add soy milk to mine, about 8 oz, and it makes it much better. You may not be a soy fan, so skim would be good. Or you could make a smoothie out of it with frozen berries and milk.
  • mariklk
    mariklk Posts: 1
    Options
    I drink whey protein powder every morning. I mix it the bender with spinach, cucumber, berries (unsweetened, fresh or frozen), 1/2 banana and/or any veggies that look like they need to be used soon. It's really good and you won't taste the powder. And you can
    mix in chia or flax seeds as well.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I take at least one everyday. I mix my with fat free skim milk. Really improves the taste. It adds about 90 calories for an 8oz serving.
  • philster79
    Options
    I use skimmed milk with a banana and a scoop of protein shake for breakfast and it seems to fill me up for hours!

I use PHD - SYNERGY ISO 7 DOUBLE CHOCOLATE COOKIE with the milk its 300 calories and with the banana too its 400 but like i said I literally could eat for 4/5 hours even if I tried!
  • capabledesire
    Options
    put your fav flavor of jello powder in it. You don't need much but you can sure taste the flavor and it makes it easier to get down. If you make it with any kind of milk it gives it a thicker more milk shake like taste but adds calories.
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I hated mine until I blended it in the magic bullet (or blender). That made a big difference for me. Sometimes I do 4oz of water 4oz of milk, which helps, or blend in a half of a banana, or some berries (I use frozen berries because they are cheeper). My favories is 8oz of water a scoop of vanilla powder and a banana, yum!!
  • samlankford
    samlankford Posts: 334
    Options
    I did that EAS Whey powder, it was not bad but NOT my favorite AT ALL! I have blueberries/cream gnc lean shake at work for when I just don't feel like eating lunch, I mix that with just water, but have had it with skim milk.. Right now I do chocolate shakeology every morning for breakfast (yes I am one of those evil shakeology lovers!).. I use UNSWEETENED almond milk or coconut milk, both are really thick milks.. if you can add the powder to a blender with liquid of your choice and a little ice...
  • chasero
    chasero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I drink my chocolate whey protein after workouts. Blend it with 2% milk, peanut butter, ice, and what I reckon a teaspoon of honey?
    I'm always down for peanut butter, but it may have defeated your purpose of mixing more things in with your powder without adding too much calories.
    I reckon you could just mix it with milk.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with almond milk. Look for an unsweetened original flavor, and you can find one for 35 or 40 calories per cup, and lots of calcium!
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Yeah milk and bananas can make the taste much better.
  • Aseymour68
    Options
    Put mine in a morning breakfast shake (blueberries, strawberries, 1/2 banana, Kiwi, Yogurt and 1/4 cup of milk). Taste awesome. It is about 490 calories for breakfast which works for me in my caloric intake. I only use on workout days, though if your workouts are fairly intense, probably would not hurt you on off days.
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I use chocolate whey protein powder with a tablespoon of PB2 powdered peanut butter. add 8 oz of water 2 oz of fat free half and half. 1 tablespoon of Stevia and a 16oz cup of crushed ice.. Makes a nice 32 oz milkshake! I have one every morning!
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    On days that I strength train, I tend to make "heavier" protein shakes... Like adding 1Tbsp peanut butter and 1/2 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt to 1 scoop chocolate or vanilla protein powder and 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.

My new favorite shake though is this (if you get vanilla protein powder in the future):
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    Cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

Put it all in a blender or shake it up in a Blender Bottle (such a handy thing) and then you have an apple pie protein shake!
  • CynthiaElise
    CynthiaElise Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I've tried quite a few different types of protein powders and I found they all sucked at mixing with liquids by simply shaking/stirring it up and not blending it but bought a small container of Genuine Health (same flavor as you) and have been loving it with 1-2 cups of Almond Breeze - Unsweetened Almond Milk :) I love the consistency and it mixes perfectly together! Plus 1 cup of almond milk is only 40 cals and ZERO sugar! Give it a try!

Oh yah and I have a protein shake every day for breakfast regardless of whether I'm working out that day! It's super easy and keeps me full and satisfied!
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Yeah milk and bananas can make the taste much better.

Agreed! I actually like it now.
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I do a scoop of vanilla protein, 2 percent milk, 2 tsp of instant coffee and 1 tbs of cocoa powder.

Mocha!
  • HizGlory
    HizGlory Posts: 18
    Options
    I use the soy vanilla protein everyday. I blend it with light soy milk, peaches, mixed berries, bananas and spinach (with a little honey for sweetness). Good luck!
  • BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just drink mine with plain water. I get it down too fast to worry about the taste :p.
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with frozen berries. Yummy!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    The only way I drink mine is with a container of coffee yogurt, a cup of calcium enriched OJ, and half a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder, and only on Sundays mornings when I'm in a rush to get to the ghym. Otherwise I eat the yogurt for lunch, with my homeade granola.