Hello Protein Powder Drinkers!

Options
Hey everyone,

I bought my first small container of Genuine Health - Protein + Natural Chocolate from Shoppers Drug Mart today. It's 110 calories, 25g of protein, 0g of sugar and only 2g of carbs. Problem is, I mixed it with water and it was a shock to my mouth upon the initial taste.
Any ideas of what to mix the power with to make it taste better without adding too many calories? Also, should I only be consuming the protein powder on workout days or everyday? This is new for me and will be working out 3-5 times a week.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• ksmama4
    ksmama4 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a protein drink every day after my workout. I use vanilla flavored. I add 1 cup of frozen berries, 1 cup UNSWEETENED almond or coconut milk (only 35 calories) and 1 scoop protein powder. You can throw in 1/2 of a banana or even a tsp or two of unsweetened cacao powder as well. Or change it up using different fruits, like frozen cherries and unsweetened cacao powder, etc. Good luck!
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I buy the fortress protein powder from wal-mart. It is 140 cals, 26g protein, 2 carbs. The taste wasn't great at first but I quickly got used to it and now I almost enjoy it:) I tried adding milk to it once but it really did not change the taste, and for the amount of cals I could of had 2 of the shakes. So I just drink it plain, you will get used to it. I usually only drink it on work out days or on days that I am gone and don't have a chance to eat. It is really just a supplement to meet your individual protein goals.
  • TomTommietje
    Options
    Hi there,

If I were you I wouldn't get the chocolate flavour but natural. Also watch out for aspartame, which is in many products. I never tried it with water to be honest, what works for me (and I think it works well too for your Chocolate flavour) is to take one scoop, blend it with 300ml milk and add a banana. Tried it once without banana and I found it shocking myself too :P I only drink it post-workout. You can determine what ever you want, just make sure you add some carbs (banana is a good choice because it has potassium, which contributes to muscle gain) and make sure you drink it asap when you finish. Many people suggest you take some protein rich product just before you go to bed, so you lose less muscle when you are asleep. It's up to you!
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have a protein drink every day after my workout. I use vanilla flavored. I add 1 cup of frozen berries, 1 cup UNSWEETENED almond or coconut milk (only 35 calories) and 1 scoop protein powder. You can throw in 1/2 of a banana or even a tsp or two of unsweetened cacao powder as well. Or change it up using different fruits, like frozen cherries and unsweetened cacao powder, etc. Good luck!

This is how I make mine too. Sometimes I throw in a handful of spinach for some extra oomph
  • ksmama4
    ksmama4 Posts: 3
    Options

This is how I make mine too. Sometimes I throw in a handful of spinach for some extra oomph

I add spinach, beets, majool dates sometimes....but it gets to be expensive sometimes, so this is usually my "go to" shake!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If you aren't mixing it with a blender bottle or in an actual blender, the texture of many protein powders can be a little gross. I've had the vegan Genuine Health brand and I think it's pretty tasty, but not with just water. I usually need to add it to almond or soy milk.

I would consume it on days you feel you can't get adequate protein through whole food sources. I rarely get enough protein in my day without it, whether I'm working out or not.
  • FireNGlory
    FireNGlory Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been on a bit of a shrimp kick. I wouldn't do it for a year, but for 90 days or so of more intense workouts... 6 medium steamed shrimp (1/4 lbs): 113 calories, 1g fat, 0g carbs and 24g protein! And they taste FANTASTIC. :-)

Also, they can be spread out. I eat 2 every half hour for an hour and a half after my workout. It's easy, too. I just steam 1.5lbs Sunday evening and seperate them into 6 sandwich bags. Grab a bag each morning.

I vary the rest of the protein I get for the day... Chicken, nuts, turkey, etc... And of course eat lots of veggies and fruit!