Fitbit?

Options
Hi everyone, as I'm working on upping my exercise, I'm finding that I don't necessarily trust the read that the machines at the gym give me. I'd like to find a pedometer/calorie (burn) counter/HRM that is more reliable. I came across fitbit, which says that it also tracks sleep patterns. I have a lot of trouble sleeping and I think that has a major impact on my difficulty losing weight. Does anyone have any input on the fitbit or any other similar tools? I'm new to all these gadgets so any help you can give is much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    i just got the Polar FT4 in pink and love it!!!! Simple to set up and use and it tracks all your workouts so you can go back and look at them at any time.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I actually use the Polar FT4 for my workouts and then wear my Fitbit around the rest of the day. It's nice that it links to this site. Not sure how it works for intense workouts though since it isn't really measuring your heart rate (that's why I still use my FT4).
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hmm interesting point. I want something that will count my calories burned while I'm working out. Bit would be nice to have something that also tracks my sleep patterns, etc.
  • CraftyPayne
    Options
    I have just ordered a fitbit yesterday.
    Cant wait to get it so I can see a true representation of the calories burnt etc ,and great that it syncs up without having to input into the computer manually .
    Just need to find out how it works with MFP !!!
  • LadyElby
    Options
    Thanks! Let me know how you like it. I'm still working on a little more research, but I'm excited to finally get one.
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have both the Polar FT4 and a FitBit (both pink!). I wear the Fitbit all the time and it's great for calculating calories for day to day life but it underestimates if I do a hard core cardio workout (i.e. treadmill running with heart-rate between 150-180 for 40 minutes). The Fitbit will suggest half the number of calories burnt compared to the heart rate monitor (I wear both to the gym). The upside to wearing both is that when I get home, I record my cardio on the myfitnesspal website and that way the more accurate number of calories (i.e. those recorded by the HRM), but I still get the steps counted via my Fitbit. Likewise, the HRM isn't good a tracking calories for non-cardio workout, it will overestimate. So ideally, get both!!
  • SME1976
    SME1976 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was actually just wondering the same thing... so now which do you guys reccommend if only 1 can be afforded?
  • LadyElby
    Options
    Me too, actually. I don't know that I can afford both at this time. I suppose it's not completely necessary to have one that records calorie use in my day to day activities.... so maybe just the HRM? Does anyone know if there are any HRMs that record other things like sleep patterns? I gues that might be a silly question, I just don't really know what's out there.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Well the Fitbit doesn't really know when you're asleep. It just knows when you aren't tossing and turning.