Healthy high calorie foods

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
Anyone have tips for healthy (or healthyish) high calorie foods (I'm trying to gain BTW), I'm struggling to meet my calorie goals lately, I need some ideas other than peanut-butter and nuts...It becomes hellish on exercise days, even though I'm only burning around 200 cals, it knocks my net goal up to 2350. (from my usual 2150) I need so ideas!!!! I'm finding there are some days when I have logged up to and including dinner and I still have 600 cals to fill. I have a gainer shake some days too, but if I have it every day its rather gross in my tummy.

Please, any USEFUL advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    cooking all your meat in olive oil, or using olive oil (with fresh lemon juice) on a salad is an easy way to add in good, heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. It's around 120 cal. for a tablespoon. Avocados are high calorie too, and very healthy. Brown rice or whole wheat pastas??
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Be careful when cooking with olive oil. Olive oil has a low smoking point, and burnt oil turns into trans fat.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Alrighty...looked at your diary and here is some ideas for you:
    1. Granola (always a go too and usually you can find healthy low-fat ones)
    2. Power bars--performance is in my opinion the healthiest and tastiest
    3. Bagels that are really big like around 300 calories (we have them in the US, but then again in the US everything is supersized thus the lovely obesity epidemic)
    4. Beans (easy to add some to lunch and dinner for a nice healthy 200 cal boost)
    5. Pastas (eating a cup can get you around 250 calories)
    6. Using a higher calorie cereal in the morning like Kashi brand (like Kashi because also have protein and fiber)
    7. Greek yogurt (I'm not a personal fan, but its a healthy, protein packed 200 calories)
    8. Dried fruit (raisins, prunes, etc): like them because a small amount has higher calories so don't get huge full feeling
    That's what I got so far :)
  • Meg_78
    Options
    cooking all your meat in olive oil, or using olive oil (with fresh lemon juice) on a salad is an easy way to add in good, heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. It's around 120 cal. for a tablespoon. Avocados are high calorie too, and very healthy. Brown rice or whole wheat pastas??

I have often though about just taking a spoon of olive oil oraly, just to add the cals LOL, but I don't know how my stomach would like that! However I do use it for most of my cooking, but think i can probably splurge a little more of it on foods in general, (a splash on my veges for xample) Also, now that you mention it...is brown rice/pasta higher in cals? I was never sure, I think I assumed white was higher cause it was the "less healthy" alternative.

Thanks!
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Be careful when cooking with olive oil. Olive oil has a low smoking point, and burnt oil turns into trans fat.

And it tastes awful too! I tend to mix it with a veg oil if I'm using higher temps.
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Alrighty...looked at your diary and here is some ideas for you:
    1. Granola (always a go too and usually you can find healthy low-fat ones)
    2. Power bars--performance is in my opinion the healthiest and tastiest
    3. Bagels that are really big like around 300 calories (we have them in the US, but then again in the US everything is supersized thus the lovely obesity epidemic)
    4. Beans (easy to add some to lunch and dinner for a nice healthy 200 cal boost)
    5. Pastas (eating a cup can get you around 250 calories)
    6. Using a higher calorie cereal in the morning like Kashi brand (like Kashi because also have protein and fiber)
    7. Greek yogurt (I'm not a personal fan, but its a healthy, protein packed 200 calories)
    8. Dried fruit (raisins, prunes, etc): like them because a small amount has higher calories so don't get huge full feeling
    That's what I got so far :)

Yeah, sorry my diary is in a lot of swedish, and I have felt my self slipping this week with lack of ideas (hence the cheeseburger today!)! So thank you for the ideas.
    I too am not a fan of greek yoghurt, but I do it fuller fat yoghurt (some in 2% some in 5%), prob is it probably had a lot of sugar too. I'm as not a fan of dried fruit, I think its so sweet, but I may have to try anyway! Bagels are hard to find here, but I did make some this weekend (though they were a little too big, but that's anther story!) they were fairly simple too, so will def try that again, also thought hate banana's, I'm thinking some kind of low sugar banana & nut bread might travel well...Oh a note, i tend to eat in transit (on the train), so that's why my lunches are pretty crappy, need to think of some better ideas, and throw some eggs in the morning maybe...I need to get each meal and snack up around 350-400cals so they will be better through out the day!

Thank you ;)