Calorie issue or protein issue?

chicpeach
chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
I workout 5 days a week, rest 2 days. On workout days I do 45-50 minutes of cardio and 50-60 minutes of lifting - which I only started doing a few weeks ago, so all weights are 5 pounds or less. I'm eating clean, about 1600 cals or so a day. I try to net 1200, but sometimes I'm a little short (but never by more than 100 cals) and sometimes I'm a little more and feel if you average it over time, I'm pretty well at netting 1200 in the long run.

I track my lean body mass and body fat percentage because I really don't want to lose organ, muscle or bone. I just want to lose fat. I use the same site and calculations for consistency.

This week, I lost 1.2 pounds. However, when I run my numbers, I only lost 4 ounces of fat. The rest of it came from my lean body mass. I'm obviously not happy about that. So here's my question: do I need to up my protein or up my cals?

If I need to up my protein, I need some suggestions for good sources. I do not eat red meat. I'm also at 1500mg limit on sodium. I thought about protein powders, but they are high in sodium and if I use them, it makes it tough to get my calories in.

Replies

• FitFoodieMomBillie
    FitFoodieMomBillie Posts: 227 Member
    I can't really help you on the causes and such as I am still tryign to figure out all that stuff myself, lol. I can tell you that one of the best protein sources I have found is Stonyfield - Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt, Plain 0% Fat. It has 130 calories, 23g protein, and 9g carb per 1 cup serving. You can flavor it pretty much any way you want since it is plain. Hope that helps!

http://www.stonyfield.com/products/oikos/all-about-oikos
    http://www.stonyfield.com/products/nutrition/417

32oz Oikos Plain Organic Greek Yogurt
    Serving Size:
    1 cup (227g)
    Servings per Container: 4.0
    Calories: 130
    Calories From Fat: 0
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat: 0g 0%
    Saturated Fat: 0.0g 0%
    Trans Fat: 0g 0%
    Cholesterol: 0mg 0%
    Sodium: 95mg 4%
    Potassium: 350mg 10%
    Total Carbohydrate: 9g 3%
    Dietary Fiber: 0g 0%
    Sugar: 9g
    Protein: 23g 46%
    Vitamin A: 0%
    Vitamin C: 0%
    Calcium: 30%
    Iron: 0%
    Thiamin: 8%
    Riboflavin: 30%
    Vitamin B6: 4%
    Vitamin B12: 20%
    Pantothenic Acid: 12%
    Phosphorus: 30%
    Magnesium: 6%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    Our Family Recipe:
    CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC NONFAT MILK.

CULTURES: S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, AND L. CASEI.

****Also, if you have a Target nearby, then their protein powder is only 60mg per scoop/serving.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/market-pantry/whey-protein-powder---vanilla

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 scoop (34g)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 20Calories 140

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 2g 3%
    Saturated Fat 1g 5%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g
    Trans Fat 0g
    Cholesterol 70mg 23%
    Sodium 60mg 2%
    Potassium 190mg
    Total Carbohydrate 4g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugars 2g
    Protein 25g

Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 10% Iron 2%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
  • houseofcarpenter
    houseofcarpenter Posts: 127 Member
    I'm no expert but my first thought would be that your not eating enough for that amount of exercise and that your weights are not heavy enough - I think it's meant to be higher weights for a shorter amount of time... i would love to hear your answers as well!!
  • chicpeach
    nemoel, that is quite a bit higher protein than the Chobani. I will definitely look for it. Thanks!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    I was in the same boat when I first started my workout regimen. I originally only did Zumba 3 days a week, but I didn't feel like I was getting the most out of my week at that level, so I decided to start doing resistance training (BodyPump/Kettlebell 4 days a week). When I first started I was only using a 10 lb kettlebell and 2.5 to 5 lb weights on my barbell in BodyPump. At the start, I was still losing muscle and fat at the same time (evident by the 3 lb weight loss every week for about three weeks). I obviously didn't have huge muscle mass gains at this level, it was more conditioning myself to getting to that point.
    But now that I've been on a consistent schedule and I'm determined to gain muscle as well as lose the fat, I've seen HUGE improvements. I've been up-ing my weight almost every class (by 2.5 lbs when I can, if I'm uncomfortable, I'll stop and go back to my regular weight, no point in hurting myself to where I am laid up, but might as well give it a try. Up to 45lbs on the squat track [might not sound like much but when you're squatting that for a good 6 minutes straight through, you feel it] ).
    My arms are completely different, they used to have that "jiggle" underneath, and had no definition at all. Now, the "jiggle" is almost gone and you can definitely see my biceps and forearms forming very nicely. Also, my legs have leaned out very well (my legs were never really "large", but the fat that was there has given way to nice muscle). I had a couple weeks where the weight didn't come as quickly as before, showing the muscle gain. Now my system is leveling out at around 1.2-2 lbs. loss each week.

I found that when I started a protein regimen after my resistance training days that I've seen the most improvement. The kind I have is Muscle Milk Light Cake Batter flavor (I know it's not the best, "organic" thing out there, but it tastes good and I've seen results with it, so I'm not complaining. Maybe down the road I'll switch brands.) But anyways, on the days that I lift, I do the full two scoop serving, it's 210 calories. I've put myself on a 1200 calorie/day program, and this fits in nicely on the days that I lift. [A slight disclaimer for myself- I never really tried to get in the right amount of proteins/carbs post-workout so this is why I saw the improvement when I started the protein shake.]

As far as a decision between increasing your calories or protein, it really isn't a huge decision to be made. Protein is calories. It's the same as sitting down and eating a piece of lean chicken that contains the same nutrients, just in a liquid form. Many people who choose protein shakes do so because of the convenience (my reason). The only difference is that your body digests the protein shake quicker because it is in a liquid form, which is beneficial pre/post workout because that's when your muscles need it the most (within 30 minutes if your post-workout). Your body uses protein and carbs to regenerate fibers in tissues as well as re-vamping your energy, so a quick-digesting protein shake is useful in this aspect, but it is not the only answer out there. If you choose to get your post-workout protein/carb calories in a meal, then so be it. Calories are calories. I'm sure there are people out there who swear that a protein shake is the end-all be-all, but a mean does just the same. Protein shakes are just a more convenient way.

Hope this helps! =)
  • bcf7683
    Also, on the sodium issue- you just need to do your research when it comes to a brand of protein that you go with. Many websites out there list the full nutrition facts, so you can see what you're getting first.
    There are many brands out there that are soy or organic, a lot of these are lower in sodium.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    I was in the same boat when I first started my workout regimen. I originally only did Zumba 3 days a week, but I didn't feel like I was getting the most out of my week at that level, so I decided to start doing resistance training (BodyPump/Kettlebell 4 days a week). When I first started I was only using a 10 lb kettlebell and 2.5 to 5 lb weights on my barbell in BodyPump. At the start, I was still losing muscle and fat at the same time (evident by the 3 lb weight loss every week for about three weeks). I obviously didn't have huge muscle mass gains at this level, it was more conditioning myself to getting to that point.
    But now that I've been on a consistent schedule and I'm determined to gain muscle as well as lose the fat, I've seen HUGE improvements. I've been up-ing my weight almost every class (by 2.5 lbs when I can, if I'm uncomfortable, I'll stop and go back to my regular weight, no point in hurting myself to where I am laid up, but might as well give it a try. Up to 45lbs on the squat track [might not sound like much but when you're squatting that for a good 6 minutes straight through, you feel it] ).
    My arms are completely different, they used to have that "jiggle" underneath, and had no definition at all. Now, the "jiggle" is almost gone and you can definitely see my biceps and forearms forming very nicely. Also, my legs have leaned out very well (my legs were never really "large", but the fat that was there has given way to nice muscle). I had a couple weeks where the weight didn't come as quickly as before, showing the muscle gain. Now my system is leveling out at around 1.2-2 lbs. loss each week.

I found that when I started a protein regimen after my resistance training days that I've seen the most improvement. The kind I have is Muscle Milk Light Cake Batter flavor (I know it's not the best, "organic" thing out there, but it tastes good and I've seen results with it, so I'm not complaining. Maybe down the road I'll switch brands.) But anyways, on the days that I lift, I do the full two scoop serving, it's 210 calories. I've put myself on a 1200 calorie/day program, and this fits in nicely on the days that I lift. [A slight disclaimer for myself- I never really tried to get in the right amount of proteins/carbs post-workout so this is why I saw the improvement when I started the protein shake.]

As far as a decision between increasing your calories or protein, it really isn't a huge decision to be made. Protein is calories. It's the same as sitting down and eating a piece of lean chicken that contains the same nutrients, just in a liquid form. Many people who choose protein shakes do so because of the convenience (my reason). The only difference is that your body digests the protein shake quicker because it is in a liquid form, which is beneficial pre/post workout because that's when your muscles need it the most (within 30 minutes if your post-workout). Your body uses protein and carbs to regenerate fibers in tissues as well as re-vamping your energy, so a quick-digesting protein shake is useful in this aspect, but it is not the only answer out there. If you choose to get your post-workout protein/carb calories in a meal, then so be it. Calories are calories. I'm sure there are people out there who swear that a protein shake is the end-all be-all, but a mean does just the same. Protein shakes are just a more convenient way.

Hope this helps! =)

I was going to reply but you said it all. I'm a big body pump fan too.
  • In my opinion you should stick with the recommended caloric intake. Your body needs those calories to actually function, don't deprive it of it's energy source. As stated earlier proteins are calories. I like to use chocolate milk as my protein source after a workout. Research has shown that there is no significant difference between recovery rate using protein shakes and chocolate milk.
    If you are working out at least 4 times a week and 30 minutes a day of non-stop exercise you will notice a difference by using the protein supplementation. If you do not workout this much then the supplementation is not going to do much if not take your further from your goal.

Keep working hard and don't give up!
    Bri
    finishingitfitness.blogspot.com
  • chicpeach
    Thank you all for your valuable input. I will research protein options that don't push me over 1500mg of sodium - love the chocolate milk option, but kind of afraid of the sodium tally there and also see what adjustments I can make to my cardio and/or weight lifting.
  • BodyFreak
    BodyFreak Posts: 68
    Your protein should be the biggest percentage of your total calories to conserve your muscles.
    Carbs should be moderate for energy needs and same with fat.

Trust I take in close to 400g of protein a day to preserve my muscles it works.
    If you need help knowing exactly how many fat,carbs,protein your body needs PM me. :)
  • ady41
    ady41 Posts: 23 Member
    I think there are more of us in need of help to know how many fats, carbs and proteins are okay to loose fat and not muscle and we will appreciate your input :)
  • Annafly3
    Annafly3 Posts: 63
    bump
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    lift heavier - and don't lift every day (unless you're working different muscle groups - rest each muscle group at least a day between work outs).....

do strength before cardio (on strength days)

eat more. most people don't eat enough and then wonder why they aren't losing the weight they want to - you have to feed your body properly. and definintely eat a lot of protein.
  • bcf7683
    Here's an awesome site that will help you figure out a good number of proteins, fats, and carbs to get in each day. I did this and it's what I've been following for about a month now, and I've seen some good results. It's a little lengthy, but if you have the time to sit down and figure it out the way he describes it, it's a huge help.

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    I agree. Lift heavier. Just because you just started doesn't mean you should be lifting Grandma weights! :) Anything less than 5lbs is a waste of your time.

When you eat clean, you lose water faster. You lost 1/4 of a pound of fat last week, the rest was water fluctuation. I don't see anything to complain about there.

Honestly, are your cardio workouts intense? If you are working out 4-5 days a week, you really don't need to do more than 20-30 minutes of cardio if you are doing a high-intensity workout. 20-30 minutes of high intensity cardio is a lot more efficient than 50-60 minutes on an elliptical not breaking a sweat. Maximizing the amount of time you spend on a treadmill is really inefficient. I imagine there are other things you would rather do than spend two hours at the gym.

I would look into high intensity interval training. You get the best of both worlds. :)
  • chicpeach
    I would like to thank everyone for their input whether you gave it above or pm'd me. Based on the information I got from all of you and some additional research, I've made some changes which I will do for the next week and a half (because I weigh in first thing Monday mornings). I'll see how things go and if I need to make changes again, I will.

Here's the upshot of the changes: reset marcros to 40/40/20. Should be interesting, never eaten that much protein before.

MWF: 45 mins straight cardio.

TThS: 30 mins lifting using the heavier weights (and btw, I am a grandma) plus 15 mins interval cardio.

Sunday: cheat day, no lifting or cardio, but will eat the same cals as I do the rest of the week