Grilled cheeses

Options
Firefighter_Jay
Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
Ok, Grilled cheese sammiches are possibly the best thing discovered/invented when it comes to foods. (next to hot dogs, but that's a different topic).

Anyway, how do you make yours? Do you only use bread, butter and Kraft singles? Or do fancy them up?? I wanna know!

(reason for topic, I just made one with Irish Cheddar. I love Irish cheddar... But it didn't go well as a grilled cheese :(

Replies

• Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Love them plain (bread, butter, Kraft cheese)

Also good if you mix a slice of pepper jack and a slice of Kraft.

Ever dipped them in anything? Tomato soup and chili are awesome.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    my favourite food is grilled cheese
    bread, margarine, no singles for me i use real medium cheddar or marble
    (when i wasn't a vegetarian i would throw a deli slice of ham in)
    and i dip it in soup!!! mmm my fav lunch!
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It's like childhood on a plate! I like double fiber bread and good ol Kraft singles. Dipped in ketchup is fab, but plain is good, too.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    love 'em fancy or traditional. I like to coat the outside with parm and then grill it. However, with the traditional I like mine burnt...I am odd.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I just throw some bread and cheese together and eat it that way because I can't find a natural, milk based cheese that doesn't get all oily and gross when you heat it, which is the only advantage processed cheese has.

Of course I haven't looked that hard for one either, so I'm open to suggestions!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese and tempeh! With fancy cheese, like Beecher's. And cooked greens like spinach, kale or chard. Sometimes with garlic or onions.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I toast my bread... then when it's done, put some kraft cheese slices on it and stick it in the microwave for a few seconds.

I don't have time for the stove when I'm making grilled cheese! LOL
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I put tomato on mine
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Brie & pear

American & Bacon

Swiss & Ham

English muffin with butter, American & a tomato slice

Mozzarella or provolone, basil & tomato.

Love them all really...
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Bread (has to go completely to all ends of bread) provolone, and turkey is my FAVORITE. But a good ol fashion 2 kraft slice grilled cheese=amazing
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I like a thin slice of ham on mine.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    Dipped in tomato soup.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    mozzerella, spinach and tomato. It's the best!
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Smoked gouda cheese, thick sliced. Real butter on both sides of the bread. Grill until bread starts to get black...just barely...

that is all....
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Sourdough bread.
    Havarti cheese - melts soooo nice and gooey
    Sprinkle the parmesan on the butter before you grill up the bread.

NOM
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I do all different kinds. Different types of cheeses(cheddar, swiss, pepper jack, colby jack, havarti with dill), different types of bread. Sometimes I add stuff like pesto, marinara sauce, sun-dried tomatoes, sliced tomato and basil, horseradish. I almost never put butter on the bread, I just spray it with an olive oil spray from Trader Joes, it makes them crispier. Love grilled cheese.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Sourdough bread.
    Havarti cheese - melts soooo nice and gooey
    Sprinkle the parmesan on the butter before you grill up the bread.
    NOM
    YUM!!!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I make all different kinds of grilled cheeses with various meats, cheeses, condiments, vegetables... love the melty goodness... but my all-time favorite is the way my mom always made them (and my fiancee asks for them like this every chance he can get):

Butter BOTH sides of the bread. Toast first side of each slice in a skillet. Flip bread, top each slice with one slice of American cheese, cover pan and let the bread toast up and cheese melt. MUST BE CUT ON THE DIAGONAL.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

Butter BOTH sides of the bread. .

I love you!
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Don't skimp on the butter. Rye bread. Swiss cheese, onion, bacon, jalapenos. Dirty and with a bite :)