Honey worse than sugar??

Options
Recently, I've been having ALOT of 0% Greek yogurt and porridge (oatmeal) made with water. Both of these things taste HORRIBLE on their own, so I add honey to it.

Obviously, as a result of this, I'm ALWAYS over on sugar.

Is honey worse than sugar??

Am I having too much??

Will it affect my weightloss??

Replies

• bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Simple sugar is simple sugar. Both are used quickly in your body for fuel as glucose. Whether it's agave, honey, cane sugar, beet sugar, and corn syrup, it's processed and used in the body similarly. Now, we can debate if HFC is just as bad as natural sugars (I believe it's worse than natural sugars mainly because it's all fructose with no fiber or micronutrients and has a different affect on the body, but this is one opinion.) But in the end sugar is sugar is sugar. Honey has micronutrients cane sugar doesn't have, but they're all sweet calories. The only way it'll affect weight loss is if your calories go over your goal, and you can go over your calories easily (by using sugar and simple carbs that don't keep you full and happy) or complex and whole foods (yes, you can overeat quinoa, whole grains, brown rice, and fruit. It's not as easy as overeating donuts or pizza, but that's how I go fat in the first place.)
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    It depends what you mean by worse. It's less refined, and reputedly has a whole load of beneficial properties, so in my book it's better. Don't know the relative calorie counts though.

If you're worried about it, what about making the porridge with milk instead of water to give it some more flavour? Or sprinkling some cinnamon on? Or salt, though I know that's a bad word on here...

And you could try having berries or chopped banana in the yoghurt.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Recently, I've been having ALOT of 0% Greek yogurt and porridge (oatmeal) made with water. Both of these things taste HORRIBLE on their own, so I add honey to it.

Am I having too much??

Honey is 49/43 Fructose/Glucose
    Sucrose is 50/50 Fructose/Glucose

Not a huge difference in how the body processes either one.

And it will effect your weight loss if you eat enough that it puts you in a caloric surplus
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options

Am I having too much??

And it will effect your weight loss if you eat enough that it puts you in a caloric surplus

my ignorance revealed: What is the remaining 8%? Bee spit?
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use local honey just for the allergy issues in the Spring.

I second the cinnamon or fruit idea.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Am I having too much??

my ignorance revealed: What is the remaining 8%? Bee spit?

Split between sucrose and some other carbs
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, they are the same at the grocery store. Pretty much, anyway.
    If you can get local, raw honey, it's way better for you. And not because of the sugar portion, but all the other goodies in it. It will have all your local allergens in it, so it is like getting a tiny allergy shot each time you use it. It has been shown to aid with allergies. Also, buying local helps your local economy grow, and that's ALWAYS a good thing.
    Plus, good honey tastes so much better than sugar!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    If you can get local, raw honey, it's way better for you. And not because of the sugar portion, but all the other goodies in it. It will have all your local allergens in it, so it is like getting a tiny allergy shot each time you use it. It has been shown to aid with allergies. Also, buying local helps your local economy grow, and that's ALWAYS a good thing.
    QFT

I buy local raw honey. LOVE it. I use way less because it tastes sweeter to me.

My own lines of research have led me to use honey instead of sugar. It's a little less refined and has more nutrients in it. It's still a sugar though so use it sparingly and you'll be fine. There are other ways to sweeten things up as others have suggested. Use fruit, cinnamon, milk, ect.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Yes, agree with this! :)
  • bashiera
    bashiera Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    QFT

I buy local raw honey. LOVE it. I use way less because it tastes sweeter to me.

My own lines of research have led me to use honey instead of sugar. It's a little less refined and has more nutrients in it. It's still a sugar though so use it sparingly and you'll be fine. There are other ways to sweeten things up as others have suggested. Use fruit, cinnamon, milk, ect.
    I do the same thing. Honey always tasted better than cane sugar to me, plus it's got more benefits than cane sugar. Have any of you tried sugar in the raw, though? I know it's still cane sugar, but apparently it tastes a little more like molasses because it's unbleached.