Do you ever save your calories for alcohol? Do you still los

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I was wondering if anyone does this and if it works for them.

Also, what are some good low calorie, low carb, alcoholic drinks?

Thanks!

Replies

• dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    I do. All my fat loss came from weight lifting and good diet alone...no cardio.

I save the day of for some drinks if i know I'm gonna have a bunch.

Which every UFC party it happens!

Never gained any fat from it
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I do, but I can't really too often any more. :( As I get closer to my goal weight it's one plateau after another and more than one or two drinks can set me back by a couple of days -- it's really frustrating.

The lowest-carb and calorie choice you can make though is about an ounce and a half of liquor (which I think is a typical pour) and a no-calorie mixer for about 100ish calories. That means vodka soda, rum and Diet Coke, etc. No tonic -- it's got almost as many calories as regular soda -- and no ginger ale, and of course no sugary juices, sour mix, etc. You could do clear liquor on the rocks, too, though depending on what kind of drinker you are, that may either slow you down or speed up how quickly you finish one drink.

There are various "diet" mixers out there now too but they tend to be full of artificial sweeteners and chemicals.

I also got a bunch of free samples of a new low-calorie vodka called Voli in different flavors -- I think it had about 60 calories per ounce versus the usual 75. It tasted pretty smooth but not like much, and because of that it was easier to chug it a little faster, which, again, isn't that great.

Wine has some nice health benefits as well and isn't too caloric, and you're more likely to sip and enjoy it. If you like beer, there's always light beer, I guess, but, that's not for me personally. (Beer of any kind also stalls me/makes me bloat.)

If you're a big beer person though, I guess just plan it and make sure to have a couple of drinks you really enjoy! If you're already a big drinker, though, you'll definitely have to cut back if you want to see fat loss, especially as you enter the normal weight category.

Basically, being healthy and smaller is a huge lifestyle overhaul, for better or for worse. And I know first-hand how tough it is, I work in the music and nightlife industries :( If peer pressure is an issue or you just don't want to hear anybody's stupid comments or deal with them handing you another drink, you can always make what I call a "stunt" drink, and just pour some seltzer water or soda into a glass with a lime, and drink it with one of those little straws. People will leave you alone. hah
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone does this and if it works for them.

Also, what are some good low calorie, low carb, alcoholic drinks?

Thanks!

I try to plan for it. I know weekends are going to have some alcohol in it. I don't like beer so I really need to plan for the type of drinks I like (rum and coke, vodka and cranberry). If I drink, I also don't go for the diet mixers. I get the full calorie ones.
    You also have to think that if you are eating right 90% of the time, days with alcohol in it should not impact you much.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    I have a weekly bonus calorie allowance that keeps me at a healthy daily average for weight loss that I can use anytime. I typically use the bulk of it on the weekend on alcohol or date nights, then spread the rest throughout the rest of the week. I got to goal on weight watchers and they give a weekly bonus points allowance so when I switched to calories, I tried to incorporate that. I lose consistently.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I plan for it if it is just me and the wife having a few on Friday. Cherry flavored vodka and diet coke is pretty good low cal. One shot=80 calories.

If Im going to a party or something I usually just dont worry about it. Thats not very often though.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I have the occasional glass of wine, when it fits in my calories.

No worries.
  • happypath101
    Options
    For sure! I love to have a drink or two with the bfriend on the weekends. I'll skip snacks for that. I also try to go with the lower calorie drinks, e.g. Smirnoff Ice Light.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I fit my first alcoholic drink that I've had for weeks into my calories tonight.

Mimosa. 156cals.
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    A family friend did that. She was obsessed with staying very thin and liked to drink a lot so she ate very little. It eventually killed her.
  • ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes! But I usually only do one or two drinks at a time.
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I do. I try to only drink one day a month and usually those are homemade margaritas. I usually work out extra that week or pass up a cheat meal.
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I still drink. Usually its wine. But occasionally I will have gin & tonic, martinis, or a microbrew beer. My guy drinks Michelob Ultra because it is the lowest carb beer with the highest alcohol number. It still tastes like water to me so I don't even bother.
  • apeluso1985
    Options
    Yes!

I do a cardio workout and give myself plenty of cushion, because sometimes with a drink I want a snack as well. So I give myself 1000 calories if I am going out.

I love skinny girl margarita's they are all natural, taste great (need a little salt) and 100 cal's 4 four ounces.

I think it's good to have a fun summer drink that doesn't feel like I am depriving myself. Also, my future husband drinks bud light and thats only 110 cal's.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Yes and Yes.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My motivation to work out every day is the ability to have a beer or two. Good craft beer only, no need to waste calories on garbage beer. According to my log, I've drank 330ish different beers (I very rarely repeat) in 11 months, while losing 60lbs in the process. It works - just don't do something dumb like eating 200 calories and then drinking 1000 calories worth of beer for the day. I usually get 2500-2600 calories a day so a few hundred in beer isn't the end of the world.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Yes, I do that on the weekends sometimes. I still lose weight.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I usually have one or two real beers.

Low calorie vodka = vodka with less alcohol since all of the calories come from the alcohol.

Also, all foods are entirely made of chemicals.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Hubby and I have wine/whine night once a week. I know I'm going to drink 1/2 a bottle of red wine so I plan it into my calories for the day. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    A family friend did that. She was obsessed with staying very thin and liked to drink a lot so she ate very little. It eventually killed her.
    What did she die of, if I may ask?
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I personally don't really lose much, plus it makes me lose my inhibitions if I have much at all. I stick to red wine if I have to have something, but on weekends sometimes I have a drink with friends, just a lower calorie version of what they're having :)