Scared of running in public!

Options
Okay, so this might sound weird, but I'm terrified of running in public! It's not that I'm worried about how I look when I'm running, I guess I just don't like the thought of people watching me - I never really get that feeling in the gym because I know everyone else in there are exercising too so are focussed on themselves.... But I hate it when I'm trying to run outside!

I don't know if anyone else gets the same thing but I miss going on a jog on a regular basis so would appreciate any advice that'll help get me back out there!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel! I'm very self-conscious when I run. I hate the fact that others get to see what I'm doing. Here's the thing I have to tell myself, no one who is busy outside is going to notice me run by. Even it they do, they won't really be thinking anything horrible about me! More than likely they will think maybe I should do that, or wow, what dedication. Or something impersonal like that. Just because I'm afraid of what they may be thinking, doesn't make it true. Once I got that idea through my head (that the world truly doesn't revolve around me and even though someone sees me they more often than not will not even really notice me), I've been able to run outside. It's taken a long time, but it helps!

Edit - I wanted to add, when I was seeing a counselor about my issues (more than just this), she stated that fear was a very self-centered thing to think. I was rather offended at first, but I've come around to see her point on it!
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I'm not that uncomfortable with it then women, since you have boobs and it attracts a lot of attention. Just run at a decent time in which no one else is there.
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it, then do it. Tell the voices in your head that you are awesome, because you choose to get out and exercise instead of doing nothing like those people watching you. Do what makes you happy, and forget about the rest of them!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I was the same way when I started running, but I soon realized that everyone is involved in their own lives and probably didn't even notice me. And if I did happen to pass another runner or walker, they always smiled, nodded or gave some type of positive recognition. Always made me feel like I was part of some group than non-runners know nothing about.

So, just get out there and do it. You will be so glad you did! :smile:
  • cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running in public so I would go early in the AM just as it was getting light. Fewer cars on the road -- hardly any exhaust pollution and I finally found a really good bra that felt like a straight jacket and held my "girls" in really well (Enell from herroom.com) Try to dress down and wear a baseball hat so that you don't draw attention to yourself. Listening to podcasts or music can help distract you so that you are less self conscious BUT you must be careful because you can increase your chance of having an accident with a moving vehicle if you're not paying attention.:flowerforyou:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I started at 400+ lbs. was I worried? sure. did I wonder what others might say, point or laugh? yep. I eventualy stopped caring and got over it. my health was more important than what others may think.
  • mybiketrip
    mybiketrip Posts: 239
    Options
    I was the same way when I started running, but I soon realized that everyone is involved in their own lives and probably didn't even notice me. And if I did happen to pass another runner or walker, they always smiled, nodded or gave some type of positive recognition. Always made me feel like I was part of some group than non-runners know nothing about.

What she said ^^

Start running in public and join the club! I've actually met people through my running in public. I would see them on the road a couple times and we'd exchange smiles, nods, and whatnot. Then I'd see them in a coffee shop and it's easy to start a conversation because you know what you both have in common... Running!

Also, most people who see runners on the road either respect them or are jealous of them. Also, to be honest, I only notice runners because I'm a runner. Before I started running I wouldn't notice them at all.

Good luck with your running! Feel free to add me and ask running (or biking) questions!

-Peter
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I used to feel weird when I ran around my college town- there was always tons of people on the sidewalks at all hours of the day.... But then I got to thinking "How can they think anything bad of me, at least I'm out here running my little a** off while they're walking their way to the bar or a restaurant".
    When I'm driving down the street or I pass someone on the sidewalk who is running, even if they don't look like a seasoned marathon runner, at least they're out there trying, and I think "Good for them."

That kind of thinking gave me way more confidence.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    here's my take...

they're there to see YOU make YOURSELF healthier and the only reason why they're out there is because of YOU and to cheer YOU on no matter what they're really doing.
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I kind of relate to how you feel. I don't actually mind running in public on my own, but I hate running in public with my DD in her stroller because I am using a regular stroller and not a jogging stroller. I know it's silly, but it really gets to me!
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options

^^ I frequently tell myself this!
    I run with headphones and just get into my music. Music is kind of a buffer i guess. I'm convinced that people are staring and making fun but with my music in I don't have to hear it and kind of just run in my own little world. In reality I'm sure people couldn't care less! I have to remember that I'm running for ME and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Even if I do look funny when I run (which I do lol) WHO CARES?! I CONSTANTLY have to remind myself of it but it's enough to get me out the door and running. I've never once regretted a run even if I have to steel myself to get it done! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    GAH...haven't ran in public..well..I did a couple weeks ago but in the wee hours of the morning. I personally thought it was harder on my knees...or I could be tricking myself into thinking that because I was terrified! But I'm a treadmill jogger/walker. I did get stuck running on the tready which there are probably 8-10 against the wall and there I was surrounded by these men that were jogging and well I have to say...they kept me jogging longer than I anticipated just because it was such a rush...like...running in a group..LOL :heart:
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Screw haters. Acquire miles.
  • stay615
    stay615 Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been told I look like a T-rex when I run. Fine make fun all you want, I'll be in better shape than you. You just keep on going, you're out there getting healthier with every step.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I hate running when there are people around too. I find first thing in the morning especially on sunday is the best time to go because there is no one around.
  • TrishB1954
    Options
    Just tell yourself that you are running faster than they are - this from someone who at full pelt can run a mile in 9m45s - my best 5k time is 30m 32s but when I was moaning once about my lack of speed, a fellow club member said - it doesn't matter how slow you run, you are still beating the people on the sofa. - and it's so true - and the more you run, the better it gets - I am still slow but I will not let myself be put off by the thought of people watching me. Other (& much better) runners are always supportive - surround yourself with positive thinking and run!
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    will people look at you? - maybe
    will they remember what you looked like? - probably not
    will they think about you once you've run by them? - probably not
    will they think about you tomorrow, or later in the day? - nope
    will they even care that you're running - nope
    These people will barely even remember you passing them by, so should you be bothered what they think? - nope!

I run and have seen hundred of other runners on the roads..can I remember any of them? NOPE..because, why would I want to?

Go and hit the tarmac and enjoy :)

xxx
  • Fridaydalek
    Fridaydalek Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Screw haters. Acquire miles.

That should be on a T Shirt!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I run outside. Here are the thoughts that go through my head when I'm in a car and I see people running...

"I'm jealous, wish that was me right now." or "Wow, that's impressive, the way they are out there on a day like today that is (windy, hot, cold)". or "It is extremely impressive that a person of that (height, weight, age, physique, hair length, eye color, etc) is putting forth that kind of effort on a road/path that gives more challenges than a treadmill."

I don't think I'm the only one that appreciates rather than feels disdain for physically active people. You might be surprised how many people you actually inspire.
  • CShepherd91
    Options
    I feel a little self-conscious too. The only exercise trousers I've got are a size too small, and a bit tight on the bum - which means the jiggle is there for everyone to see (and its quite a sizeable *kitten*). I'm fortunate that I live next to a river, and the only people that tend to go down there are dog walkers - pretty private, so that's my walking/jogging spot. The footpath alongside it is 4 miles long, and I just can't jog that far yet - so I have to cut through onto the main road to get home again. While I'm jogging along there, I just blare up my music and just pretend that there are no cars on the road, and I haven't just over-took some really fit guys.

Pretend for long enough, you'll believe.

I think you just need to get out there. Find a spot which is relatively quiet and just go for it. You'll soon gain a bit more confidence! :D