Runner's Feet

Options
Any runners out there? I am working towards a half marathon in mid-May in Fargo North Dakota. I am now up to the 13 mile distance and doing well but having trouble with my feet...in particular, black nails. Anyone else out there with similar experience? Any advice?

Replies

• kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes. The dreaded runner's toe!

Consider buying shoes 1/2 size larger than you normally wear. Keep your toenails short and that will help a little, too.

Some people are hard-core enough to pierce their toenail with a sanitized needle to let the blood out, which can "save" a toenail. I was never able to do this and just dealt with black toenails.

It's a battle scar! Be proud!!
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    bump because I would love to hear more on this subject. I'm also training for my first half in the fall.
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    I wear Merrell barefoot running shoes, the mary jane style. So comfy, but I've noticed I'm starting to get weird blisters under my toenails.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Do your shoes fit properly? Running stores will typically fit you into a larger size, I understand that will help some of the toe damage. I'm a very short distance jogger, so my only problem is dry skin from the socks. :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Black nails come with the territory........I've only had one so far but practically every runner I know who does any serious distances has, at one time or another, suffered from this

Here's a link to runnsersworld.com on prevention and treatment.

http://wiki.runnersworld.com/index.php/Black_Toenails
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    bump.

Everyone seems to think that the dead toenails are from shoes that are too small.
    Equally painful is having one foot a 1/2 size smaller than the other foot. I have to wear a thicker sock to take up the extra room or else one of my toes on that foot ends up being the bruised toe w/ the dead toenail. :sick:

Even w/ shoes properly fitted, I'm not really sure what to do about my Werewolf toes - my 2nd toe is longer than my big toe. Ouch. :huh:

I have not successfully avoided the dreaded dead toenail - it's a good thing I like the nail polish colors that look like dead toenail anyways :bigsmile: (dark greys, blues, dark brown, purpley-grey...)
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I almost lost a nail in February. I needed new shoes. Ever since no problems. I also heard going up a half size helps! Good luck with your half!
  • iamfishing
    Options
    Wow, the piercing idea seems a little extreme! I actually did make a small hole after a long run as a means to reduce the pressure. But it then got infected so I won't do that again. :o)

Sounds like maybe I need bigger shoes. :o)
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've had perfectly fitting shoes that were great for the first 300 miles or so then out of the blue I get a black nail. I've had shoes which gave me a black nail in the first few runs nd then nothing until I retire them.

Black nails are just something that runners seem to get every now and then.