A question about donating blood....

Options
When you donate blood, should you increase your calorie intake for that day? I donated blood today, and I'm feeling OK so far, but I don't know if it's a good idea for me to eat fewer calories, like if that will make me fatigued later or make it harder for my body to replenish the blood. Any ideas?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I've always eaten my normal amounts and never had an issue :smile: Thanks for helping save a life today! I'm a big proponent of blood donation.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think that you should, are you not given something to eat straight after giving blood? After giving blood I usually eat something high carb and quite high in fat and drink quite a lot of liquid. You may start to feel faint so it is important that you eat and drink after giving blood.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'd say if you're ok now, you're going to be fine. I used to give blood, I can't any more, and as long as I accepted a snack after donating and took an hour or two to rest up, I was fine.

I did once end up feeling a bit ill because I decided to do a long shopping trip just after donating, but that was my own fault. Usually, your body makes a good recovery within an hour or two, and from there you won't notice a lack of blood having an impact.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Your body will use several hundred calories over the next month or so to regenerate the lost blood. Personally, the day I give I'm starving and feel like I eat absolutely everything. That day doesn't seem to derail me, and I don't think letting myself spend a day miserably hungry can be good for me. If you don't have a change in appetite, I wouldn't worry about it though. Many people don't change their diet and are completely fine. Everyone's different.

and way to go for donating!