New York City

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
Hello everyone! I will be traveling to NYC next week to a convention. I am hoping to be able to go to a Broadway show, West Side Story is my first choice. I did not want to buy tickets ahead of time because you never know what can happen. My question is, can the tickets be bought at the theatre right before the show? Is there a place near the theatres that sell discounted tickets? For those of you familiar with the city, what are some suggestions for sightseeing in such a short amount of time? less than 4 days, Thu afternoon to Sun morning. Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I will be traveling to NYC next week to a convention. I am hoping to be able to go to a Broadway show, West Side Story is my first choice. I did not want to buy tickets ahead of time because you never know what can happen. My question is, can the tickets be bought at the theatre right before the show? Is there a place near the theatres that sell discounted tickets? For those of you familiar with the city, what are some suggestions for sightseeing in such a short amount of time? less than 4 days, Thu afternoon to Sun morning. Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
    Yes! There is a big "booth" or whatever you want to call it in Times Square. The TKTS Booth....and you can get discounted tickets the day of the show...often right before it's going to start,

Here is a link with some info!
    http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

West Side Story looks great. I recently saw Rock of Ages! A lot of fun!!

And it just depends on what you want to do. The Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Greenwich Village.

Also, check out these walking tours you can do. Most are $15 and really cool!! My friends and I recently did the "Multi-Ethnic Eating Tour"

There is just SO much to do!!! HAVE FUN!!

http://www.bigonion.com/
  • alf1163
    Options
    Very helpful info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Tam!! :flowerforyou:
  • amybeth45
    amybeth45 Posts: 11
    Options
    there is also a TKTS booth in Brooklyn right near the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott--same tickets and never a line--check the website for operating hours. Walking over the Brooklyn Bridge is always an option if the weather is nice. And Wicked is an Amazing show if tickets are available for that. Central Park is fun, with great people watching.

have fun.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you can. I suggest seeing at what time they go on sale (usually 2 hours before the show) and arriving 15 minutes before that to hop on line and beat any crowds. Don't take any risks!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I went to the site and it says under tkts lists or something like that "never" for West Side Story. What does that mean? It does not explain. Does it mean those tickets are not available there?

I am staying at the Marriot downtown 85 West, steps away from Wall St and NY Stock Exchange. And close to the Seaport? I am getting excited!! I wish I had all the time to go sightseeing...it is a business trip :grumble: :grumble:

:flowerforyou:
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Yay!!!
    There you go bella!
    MFP to the rescue!! :wink:

~Jo :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hi Joanne, how are you??? Yes, very helpful. I went to another site, nytix.com. It sells discounted tickets. I also read some info on how the theatres sell tickets the same day of the show. They have what they call RUSH/lottery tickets that the theatre want to sell and usually sell for $20 or $25 in cash of course. And that the seats are usually pretty good, sometimes first row if it is just one seat. I am going with my sister though...any other suggestions???? Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm fantabulous! Doing a few quizzes on facebook... keeping myself out of the kitchen :laugh:
    Are you getting anywhere with your broadway planning?
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions. I went to the site and it says under tkts lists or something like that "never" for West Side Story. What does that mean? It does not explain. Does it mean those tickets are not available there?

I am staying at the Marriot downtown 85 West, steps away from Wall St and NY Stock Exchange. And close to the Seaport? I am getting excited!! I wish I had all the time to go sightseeing...it is a business trip :grumble: :grumble:

:flowerforyou:

Haha, you're so close to me! Sorry about the awful weather.

Have fun here - I do so adore manhattan :wink:
  • amybeth45
    Options
    if you are a shopper go to Century 21, which is downtown near your hotel--sure they can direct you exactly. Go as early as you can before the crowds arrive--amazing prices on lots of designer and high end clothes, not to mention a fabulous shoe department. happy hunting!
  • alf1163
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE SHOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: Thanks for the tips!!! I'd better leave room in my suitcase! :laugh:

Oh, I don't know what to pack! Of course a couple of "work" clothes for the convention. I heard people dress casual now at the theatre, true? It is going to be tricky as far as weather is concerned. I live in San Antonio and it is hot hot hot everyday. I went to Vegas recently with my husband and it was hot hot hot. So I knew exactly what to pack. NYC??? :noway: It might be cold, it might be warm, it might be raining...Arghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! What are your suggestions? Oh, I get cold easily. :noway:

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • amybeth45
    Options
    weather recently has been damp and a bit chilly. dress here is definitely casual, even at the theatre nice jeans are fine. many places here blast the AC so just be sure to pack some cardigans and an umbrella.
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm also from san antonio and i'm gonna be in new york next tuesday the 9th through the following tuesday! haha!!!! But I went there when I was 18 for 4 days and I saw EVERYTHING! I recommend of course statue of liberty and Elis island( Ellis island was my fav), the empire state building (be ready for a longggggg wait), Chinatown and Little Italy! Ground Zero is also amazing!
  • alf1163
    Options
    I'm also from san antonio and i'm gonna be in new york next tuesday the 9th through the following tuesday! haha!!!! But I went there when I was 18 for 4 days and I saw EVERYTHING! I recommend of course statue of liberty and Elis island( Ellis island was my fav), the empire state building (be ready for a longggggg wait), Chinatown and Little Italy! Ground Zero is also amazing!

Wow!! What a coincidence!!! :laugh: It is pretty hot here, right? :noway: Have a safe trip and enjoy!! I am hoping to see some sights. Last time I was there was about 25 yrs ago and did not see much, I lived temporarily in Farmingdale, Long Island. I was actually born in NY but my parents moved to Puerto Rico when I was a one yr old.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!! I will surely tell you how it all went. :flowerforyou:
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I've got 3 aunts in long island and my mom is originally from massapequa! I have a 15 month old little girl and a lot of my family hasn't seen her yet so i'm going to long island for about 4 days and then boston for 3 (to visit another aunt).....it's gonna be a long week! And yes it is very very hot here!:ohwell: