Joint pain and and heavy lifting

I've been working out hard core for about a month. I do cardio for 45 minutes 6 days a week, including elliptical, squats/lunges with and without weights, etc. I also do an upper arm circuit every other day. However, everyone here keeps saying "lift heavy." How heavy is heavy? I am currently using 5 lb weights in each hand when I do the weighted squats, lunges, and compound lifts. My muscles can handle that weight, but my elbows and knees are saying NOOOoo!!!! After each workout, i am feeling it in those joints. I would really like to lift heavier than 10 lbs but I don't want to hurt myself. Has anyone else experienced this? How do you deal with it? I am working out at home, so weight machines are not an option.

A lot of people on this site tout heavy lifting as the way to really lose fat, gain muscle, and reach fitness goals. I hope that I am not going to be limited by my whining joints. Any tips or insights would be welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• Remember that a lot of people who are "heavy lifting" have been weight training for years. They didn't start out that way. Listen to what your body is saying. If your joints are still hurting, take it easy. It will eventually come, but don't push it too hard. Not only that, I tend to use lighter weights with higher repetitions and have been getting some good results. The main thing right now is just consistently working your muscles, eating proper nutrition and getting lots of sleep and rest.