snacking at work

Options
I have a horrible urge to snack at work all day long. I attribute this to the fact that I don't have a job that keeps me very busy and I find myself getting bored...therefore, I snack. The snacks I do eat are always healthy...I just eat a lot of them. I do enjoy 100 calorie packs...but they aren't exactly acheiving their purpose after you've had 2-3 of them throughout the day.

Most people have trouble eating well on the weekends...not me! I eat so much less on the weekends then during the week. This just goes to show that I eat out of boredom or b/c I just need to be doing something. I'm a busy-body and have a hard time just sitting still.

Because of this urge to snack, I often have a hard time staying in my calories by day's end. Does anyone have any suggestions for combating this? :explode:

Replies

• erkuhns79
    Options
    I have a horrible urge to snack at work all day long. I attribute this to the fact that I don't have a job that keeps me very busy and I find myself getting bored...therefore, I snack. The snacks I do eat are always healthy...I just eat a lot of them. I do enjoy 100 calorie packs...but they aren't exactly acheiving their purpose after you've had 2-3 of them throughout the day.

Most people have trouble eating well on the weekends...not me! I eat so much less on the weekends then during the week. This just goes to show that I eat out of boredom or b/c I just need to be doing something. I'm a busy-body and have a hard time just sitting still.

Because of this urge to snack, I often have a hard time staying in my calories by day's end. Does anyone have any suggestions for combating this? :explode:
  • magari14
    Options
    i chew a TON of gum...seriously. sometimes half a pack a day. it keeps my mouth busy and helps me to avoid those urges to snack.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Can you take some baby carrots or celery sticks with you? Some low calorie dip on the side? Snack all you want on the carrots, brocolli.....more filling as well. Maybe take yogurt in wth you if you have a place to store it at work. I'm sure there are some low fat trail mixes or some nuts you could snack on too (that have the good fats you need)........=o)
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    those are all great ideas.....I do the same and right now I have a small bowl of my beloved clementines on my desk....yum and refreshing and only 30 cals each!

best of luck!
    hugs!:flowerforyou:
    Ali
  • oonaberu
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I've found that drink lotsw of water helps.. I jsut keep filling my bottlwe up.. so now I proablby drink 2-3 every shift.... of couse a side effect is frequent bathroom trips.. but I look at that as a chance to get some exercise!
    Good luck!
  • christahollis
    Options
    Maybe your eating is not just boredom...maybe it's emotional too. Being bored (unsatisfied) with a job that doesn't challenge you can make things difficult.
    Hotjobs.com anyone?
  • Patwin55
    Patwin55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Can you do a sudoku puzzle or a crossword during down times? Knit or crochet? Find someting that keeps your hands and mind busy. Perhaps you could volunteer for extra work you can do that will both keep you busy at work and increase your value to your employer at the same time.
  • erkuhns79
    Options
    PatWin - funny you suggest suduko...I keep a book at my desk! :tongue: I already told my boss that if I'm bored and he can't find me a task to work on, I'm sitting at my desk and doing suduko puzzles.

Thanks for all the ideas! I have tried noshing on crunchy veggies...but I got bored with them. Maybe I'll try them again - dipped in peanut butter this time! As for the gum, I chew about half a pack a day as well...but I'm not really supposed to (TMJ).

(p.s. I already have an interview set up for tomorrow in another dept...haha).
  • cammom
    Options
    Oh my gosh! This is a big problem for me too. The people I work with bring in a steady supply of chocolate, chips etc. and keep them on what is known as "the grazing table' for all the staff to share.
    Even when I bring healthy snacks, temptation is always staring me in the face. I try to avoid it, but on super stressful days I find myself succumbing. I will try the gum idea someone here mentioned. Thanks!