Weight loss question

Options
Hey, quick question.. I've read about this in a lot of places but have no idea what it means haha.

Say I burnt 300 cals on the treadmil.. what does it mean to eat back those 300 cals burnt? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of actually burning those cals in the first place?

This is all based on a 1200cals diet.

Replies

• willyzification
    willyzification Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Basically if you want to reach 1200 calories (bad idea but anyway) and you burned 300 calories then you need to eat 1500 calories worth of food. In other words, NET CALORIES = CALORIES EATEN - CALORIES BURNED THROUGH EXERCISE. Your net calories is the value you want to reach (1200cal) and you get the rest
  • angelashay42
    Options
    Your 1200 calories are what you should eat if you don't exercise at all. MFP adds exercise calories to your plan to keep your calorie deficit the same no matter what. If you burn 2000 calories and are still only eating 1200 cals, it isn't good for your metabolism. So that's why you need to eat more. Eat your exercise calories and you will still lose weight, theoretically.
  • AbbyShull
    Options
    No, you eating 1200 calories alone you should loose weight. So when you exercise "gain" those calories back to eat if you choose to. Best of luck this is a fun app! This is my first time on the message board but I have been using this app for 8 months and it has worked really well for me!
  • JohnnysJune
    Options
    Daily calories - exercise calories = net calories. You want to eat back most of the calories you burn exercising. Never go under 1200 net calories a day or your body will most like go into starvation mode and start hoarding everything you eat and you will not lose weight and may actually gain. When I first started I wasnt eating my calories back and I was having trouble losing weight. I would flux 2 or 3 pounds for weeks. When I started eating most of the calories back I actually started to see a stead weight loss.

I am on a daily calorie in take of 1230 but with my exercise added in Im eating anywhere between 1800- 2100 calories a day and losing about 1 pound a week. My doctor recommends 1/2 -1 pound a week to make it easier to keep off. I am extremely happy only losing a little of weight each month if it mean keeping it off.

I also have a cheat day. I dont go over board but a nice cheeseburger and fries now and then is so nice to have. Helps to make make life change more do-able.

Good luck!!
  • willyzification
    Options
    No, you eating 1200 calories alone you should loose weight. So when you exercise "gain" those calories back to eat if you choose to. Best of luck this is a fun app! This is my first time on the message board but I have been using this app for 8 months and it has worked really well for me!

Welcome to the forums and keep up your tracking progress!
  • VanillaTwilight001
    VanillaTwilight001 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh okay, I understand now. So basically, it says here that I have 1200 cals remaining... so if I eat 1200 cals of food, and then burn 300 cals on the treadmill.. that's me down to 900 cals... so then to make it back upto 1200, I'll need to eat 300 more?

Have I got that right ? If so, then why doesn't it just say that I need 1500 cals in MFP?

Yeah I'm new to all this haha, so still trying to get my head around it!

Thanks again :D
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Have I got that right ? If so, then why doesn't it just say that I need 1500 cals in MFP?
    If you log your 300 calories worth of exercise it will tell you to eat 1500...
  • VanillaTwilight001
    VanillaTwilight001 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Haha yeah I get it now.

• willyzification
    Options

^ this

MFP doesnt know you burned 300 calories through the treadmill (didnt log it) so it thinks you have been sitting around all day hence the 1200 cal. Seriously though to effectively lose weight 1200 cal is not enough.