Body Fat Percentage - Most Accurate??

I recently used http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ to try to find my BMR. This site was one of the most recommended calculators that I have seen on MFP.

In an attempt to find my BMR, I also calculated my body fat percentage. The only problem is, the site provides three calculators, which give me three completely different percentages! Their original calculator gives me 26.5%, while the military body fat calculator gives me 49.1%!!!!! and the Covert Bailey calculator gives me 19.4%.

Does anyone know which method is the most accurate? I'd really like to try to figure out the best way to continue my weight loss journey and set realistic goals for myself. I also want to lose in the healthiest way possible, and being still somewhat new to the site, I think I am eatting way under my BMR. (MFP set me at 1200 calories).

Replies

• HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Does anyone have any input?
  • I've found that most of the online calculators aren't the most accurate. Especially that military one! I think the original one is probably the most accurate, but the best way is to go to a gym and have a personal trainer use calipers to measure it.
  • HodderAL
    Thanks :) I was thinking the best way was to get it done through a professional. My only problem is I live in the woods (lol) and there are no gyms close to me. I was hoping to get a rough idea now, and try to line something up with a gym the next time I travel.
  • Im glad that you posted that site...i'm gonna check it out! Thanks!
  • HodderAL
    Im glad that you posted that site...i'm gonna check it out! Thanks!

You're welcome! :happy: It seems to be highly recommended lol
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Holy cow your results are far apart :D I thought it was bad that mine were like 6% apart. original 27%, covert-bailey 26%, military 32%

No real advice. I bought some calipers (accu-measure) on amazon and got a friend to try them on me and if our calculations were accurate it's 28% with those. The chart that came with the calipers said 22% but I *know* that's crap, so I plugged the measurements into an online calculator that took more than one site. They are pretty nifty cheap little calipers though.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I've noticed most doing the military calc jump right in to the place to enter info, and don't read the info there.

And this makes a huge difference.

Note: Men should take their waist measurement at the navel. Women should measure the natural waist circumference at the point of minimal abdominal circumference, usually located about halfway between the navel and the lower end of the sternum (breast bone).
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    BodPod or Water displacement are the way to go, I think.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Water displacement is the most accurate I understand. The new sonar type should be pretty good as well.
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Hey,

My old trainer is old skool!! He uses the 'skin fold test'....they use this device that pinches your skin and measures how much fat is on your body and do a calculation to find the percentage. There is also the electronic one you hold out infront of you, but not the most accurate, but very common these days.

I would see if a trainer at your gym can do a skin fold for you. They may harras you to train w/them for the next 3 mts., but may be worth it. You want to measure your inches and body fat to see your true progress vs. just the scale. :)

Good luck!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    There is also the electronic one you hold out infront of you, but not the most accurate, but very common these days.
    ...They may harras you to train w/them for the next 3 mts., but may be worth it. You want to measure your inches and body fat to see your true progress vs. just the scale. :)...

I think the trainers at the gym count on you having no idea what these numbers mean.

After I'd been on line looking at a couple of different chart for BODY FAT PERCENTAGE GOALS.
    I asked a trainer at my gym to test me with the electronic thing you hold out in front of you

He entered my stats 5'7" 143 lbs 50 y.o. I measured 28.2%
    He said he wanted to get me down to 19%

I'm well within the health range for my height, weight and age on all the different charts I checked out on line.
    Really, I'd like to firm up a bit and get to someplace between 24%-26%, but there is no cause for panic.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Water displacement / Fat floats test. Most major Universities will do it on the cheap or free if part of a study.
  • Joestotn
    Joestotn Posts: 5
    The calipers can be had from amazon or other health sites. Then their are gobs or websites with multiple methods of calculations to plug in your measurements. Some use 3 measurements and others use 5 and 6. I don't have any where near by that can do a Water displacement test. The calipers are pretty close
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    That's odd, mine were not that apart. The original one says 25.3, the military at 23.2 and the covert-bailey said its 19.5. At the gym, they had me use the BIA scale and there it said 23 (most probably between 21-22 range since I drank water a few hours before)
  • HodderAL
    I double checked my measurements, and again used the calculators and still got that crazy range. Oh well! C'est la vie :)

I will try getting it done at a gym, the only problem is there are no gyms close to me (none within a 1.5hr drive! besides one little one that only has the equipment - no trained fitness staff) When I travel again, I'll make an appointment with a gym and have it done.

Thanks everyone :)
  • lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    All three of mine were crazy different too. I have an hourglass shape. One was 27%, one was 41.2% and the other 28% so I thought I should be somewhere in the middle of them say around 35. I asked heybales (smart guy here on mfp:) and he told me that usually your body fat % is close to your waist measurement. My waist is 35 inches so right on what I was thinking.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    I had my body fat done at the gym caliper method and it was closest to the original calculator. I LOVE fat2fitradio.com and I LOVE their philosophy. It makes so much sense...Lose weight the easy eay, which is just to eat like the thinner person you want to become and do it slowly. LOVE that! :) Best of luck in your journey.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    BodPod or Water displacement are the way to go, I think.

I'm doing the bodpod on Friday. Can't wait!