Detox Diet

Options
knk1553
knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
Hey guys,

My friend and I are looking for a good/fairly simple to follow detox diet to jump start our weightloss/clean out some toxins (we watched a lovely video in class on the bad effects of food and the Gershin diet, and I think we both would love to detox out some stuff). I know there is a 3-5 day juice fast (the one where you fresh-squeeze your own fruits and veggies...not the crazy ones) and while I do have a juicer, its really time consuming and I've heard it makes you the most irritable person in the world for 3 days and I unfortunately don't have time to be like that for right now. Any suggestions on anything with maybe a milder approach but still gets a similar effect.

Replies

• tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    I'll be the first on this one.

You are not going to get very positive replies here regarding a detox diet, for the simple reason that it is nonsense. Your body cleanses itself. Start your weight loss by eating healthy and counting your calories, it does not need any jump start and any silly detox diet isn't going to jump start anything.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    the more you work out, the more oxygen gets into your blood stream. that allows for the elimination of more free radicals from your body, which are the toxins in the blood. so no need to use a diet to detox. just work out. eat right. bam. done.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'll be the first on this one.

You are not going to get very positive replies here regarding a detox diet, for the simple reason that it is nonsense. Your body cleanses itself. Start your weight loss by eating healthy and counting your calories, it does not need any jump start and any silly detox diet isn't going to jump start anything.
    ..., what he said.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I don't mean necessarily to lose weight, but there is a lot of research and fact on the fact that a raw foods "detox" type diet does actually help your body. Sorry if that offends anyone or if I'm not going to get positive responses, but there is proof that processed and packaged foods, and even cooking fruits/veggies does take the nutrients out of it. One of my classes has had us explore a lot of alternative methods to conventional western medicine and one major aspect of everything we're looking it involves a "detox" of some sorts, which is generally eating an entirely organic vegan raw foods diet for 2 weeks or so, or a juice fast type thing. Feel free to look up The Gerson Institute, Andrew Weil, and sick, fat, and nearly dead.

And btw... I think its interesting people support the use of diet pills, but completely bash something that isn't pumping your body full of chemicals and caffeine.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    You're fairly new. Every forum has a "forum culture." This forum is not big on alternative methods and ideas.

Do your own research and do what you feel is best. You can post and ask questions, but be prepared for negative responses.
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't mean necessarily to lose weight, but there is a lot of research and fact on the fact that a raw foods "detox" type diet does actually help your body. Sorry if that offends anyone or if I'm not going to get positive responses, but there is proof that processed and packaged foods, and even cooking fruits/veggies does take the nutrients out of it. One of my classes has had us explore a lot of alternative methods to conventional western medicine and one major aspect of everything we're looking it involves a "detox" of some sorts, which is generally eating an entirely organic vegan raw foods diet for 2 weeks or so, or a juice fast type thing. Feel free to look up The Gerson Institute, Andrew Weil, and sick, fat, and nearly dead.

And btw... I think its interesting people support the use of diet pills, but completely bash something that isn't pumping your body full of chemicals and caffeine.

So then why not just eat a raw, organic vegan diet for 2 weeks to "detox"? Not sure what you are looking for, then.
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Actually the general consensus on this site is "diet pills" are bunk too.
  • tgzerozone
    Options

As previous poster said, what does this have to do with detox? If you eat a raw food diet and get your correct nutrients in that is what people call a healthy diet. I don't see why it has anything to do with detox?

And I've never seen anyone here promoting diet pills for the record.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Your liver and your kidneys detox your body 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. "Detox" diets serve no real purpose, other than making money for whoever is pushing the diet.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of the BluePrint Cleanse and Juices? They are on Facebook, and you can buy their juices at most Whole Foods.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Do a bit of research on negative-calorie foods. Load your diet with those for a week. Trust me--you will eat more than you want to think about, AND feel the best you've ever felt before!!!!

Don't forget about the protein though!!!
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Why such rude comments to a newcomer..she just asked a simple question and ya'll practically bashing what she said she 'heard' she already knew this. A simple answer or polite opinion would have sufficed. if you dont have anything Kind to say then dont bother typing it....

I too have "heard" of the whole juice detox business but since you guys say the body 'detoxifies' itself and Not to do it then ill take your advice.

Simple.

Be Blessed
  • mdulanto9177
    Options
    I don't mean necessarily to lose weight, but there is a lot of research and fact on the fact that a raw foods "detox" type diet does actually help your body.

Alot of "detox" products are vegetable pills of some sort, also lots of fiber..so again to free your body from this chemicals...you should eat clean...trust me you get this energy and face starts clearing up and excercise all help "cleanse the body."
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    Why such rude comments to a newcomer..she just asked a simple question and ya'll practically bashing what she said she 'heard' she already knew this. A simple answer or polite opinion would have sufficed. if you dont have anything Kind to say then dont bother typing it....

I too have "heard" of the whole juice detox business but since you guys say the body 'detoxifies' itself and Not to do it then ill take your advice.

Simple.

Be Blessed

I don't see anyone bashing her.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Why are you believing "you guys" instead of doing your own research. Who's to say that "detoxng" doesn't have some benefits?

I believe in juice fasting. I wouldn't say it has special detoxifying powers but I believe it does something.

Bottom line: use your own mind.
  • tgzerozone
    Options

Simple.

Be Blessed

Re-read all posts and have not seen one rude comment.
  • GoldspursX3
    Options
    To the OP, what research has been done to validate these detox diets? If the only research you can find on it is from the company marketing the product then I would tread carefully. Your body is designed to flush toxins from your system. Give it the nutrients it needs from healthy, whole foods and it will thank you for it. Just my $.02.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What toxins are you trying to get rid of?

Aaaand yeah, never, ever heard anyone here recommend diet pills.
  • Msdld2011
    Options
    Well Said. Add me...I'm looking for support, advice and ideas...Fairly new to MFP:smile:
  • abrooks428
    abrooks428 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Catalystcleanse.com