Skinny...yet fat...Low weight, high bodyfat...HOW DO I FIX T

Options
I'm 5'7 132 pounds but my body fat percentage is 28%. I'm shaped like Kristal Richardson (without the muscles) and would love to have a body like hers. Anyhow, I have like no muscle definition-- I'm really squishy and fluffy. I carry most of my weight in my thighs.

Should I try and lose more body fat first and then strength train? Or should I just dive into strength training with little cardio. I'm confused.

I don't want to be a Marshmallow anymore! Advice welcome!

For those of you who are curious, she is 5'6 and 130 pounds.

KristalRichardson-1.jpg

Replies

• Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Find heavy weights & lift them. You can cycle through a muscle growth phase (bulking) where you eat slightly above maintenance and concentrate on strength training & then go through a "cut" where you focus on fat loss.
  • tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    Find heavy weights & lift them. You can cycle through a muscle growth phase (bulking) where you eat slightly above maintenance and concentrate on strength training & then go through a "cut" where you focus on fat loss.

What he says.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Weights!! Heavy ones!!! Too much cardio without weighlifting can lead to increased "skinny-fatness".
  • Evallusion
    Evallusion Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your respones! Weights it is!

Know of any good leg exercises? I don't have access to a gym.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You can do plyometrics instead of lifting; works almost the same type of muscle fiber. Plyometrics are jumping exercises. Go to exrx.net and see what they have--usually they have great videos.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Body weight squats.
    Goblet squats(hold a heavy dumbbell like a goblet)
    Single leg squats.
    Jump squats.
    Squaty squat squats.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    BUMP, to get the exrx.net site later! Awesome site!
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Lift weights with high intensity (start with compound movements)
    Do some type of cardio at least 2 times a week
    Eat at 80-85% of your TDEE (http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html)

In doing so, you will burn mostly body fat and maintain most of your lean muscle mass.

I also recommend a higher protein diet and even following the 30% fat/30% protein macro diet.

Good luck!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Try New Rules of Lifting for Wonen. It's a great strenght training workout.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    lift weights and eat protein.
  • librarygoddess2
    librarygoddess2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your respones! Weights it is!

Know of any good leg exercises? I don't have access to a gym.

We don't use any weights in my fitness class. You can do a lot with just your body. The easy ones are Lunges and Squats. You can do all kinds changes to these to switch them up too. (Squat with a leg lift, Lunge backwards, Lunch walking, Squat with a jump) You can also do the regular leg lifts from a pushup position.

For weights you can also fill a milk jug with some water and lift that for curls and such for your arms. Otherwise you'd be surprised how just lifting your arms up and down for a whole minute will make you burn without even having weights!
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I really like plyometric exercises. This can include jumping lunges, jumping squats, and other exercises that combine strength/ weight training (using your own body weight) plus cardio. If you can, try checking out videos like the plyometric video for p90X or Insanity.
  • sara1923
    sara1923 Posts: 53
    Options
    strength training gave me results with definition but I never got rid of cardio. I started in November and had results by mid January. Haven't really lost weight but am continuing to lose inches and the handheld body fat machine says im 18% (yes I know these are innacurate). Squats, Lunges, deadlifts, good mornings are all good strength exercises that use legs. Jump rope/jumping jacks/climbing stairs are also things you could do without a gym that would help give definition.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    if you can do more than about 12 reps then you don't have enough resistance.

So if you're milk bottles aren't heavy enough then you need to look at other options :)
  • Evallusion
    Evallusion Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm taking everything into consideration. Those plyometrics sound really good too. Thanks for the links!