Cholesterol lowering?

Options
Levedi
Levedi Posts: 290 Member
So my doctor told me to lower my cholesterol - less red meat, cheese, etc and more veggies, flax oil. Anybody got tips on how they did that?

Replies

• weathergirl320
    Options
    eat an egg or two every morning.
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i thought egg yolks were high in cholesterol?

everyone seems to think that those expensive margarines that are deisgned to lower cholesterol work.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

everyone seems to think that those expensive margarines that are deisgned to lower cholesterol work.

Eating cholesterol does not raise your cholesterol.
  • luvviebug
    luvviebug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My doc told me the same thing. You can keep track of cholesterol on here, which is what I'm doing. If you eat eggs, lose the yolks. Less red meat, less dairy, and krill oil supplements. I dunno how well this is working (my cholesterol issue is hereditary. All my "bad" cholesterols were over 100 points too high and I'm only 21!) as I haven't yet had my follow-up with the doc. But that's what I'm doing, so we'll see.
  • weathergirl320
    Options

Eating cholesterol does not raise your cholesterol.

thanks. those margarines are actually bad for your cholesterol. eat an egg or two a day. the hdl and type a ldl will help to get rid of some of your blood cholesterol.
  • dfeltner4
    Options
    I eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday, and I am taking fish oil suppliments but I have heard it is better for you to actually eat fish (Mainly Salmon) two or three times a week. I am also taking Niacin and exercising at least 4 times a week for at least 30 minutes. I had high cholesterol the last time my levels were checked, I go to the doctor in a few weeks and I am hoping that all of this pays off. Good luck! :)
  • KristiLM1
    Options
    Make 2/3 of your plate "healthily" prepared vegetables and only lean, high quality, proper portion meats (not processed sausages, etc.). The only trick to lowering HDL I was told by my doctor was to increase my physical activity as in more than a stroll around the block but a heart pounding, work up a sweat activity every day. I'm working on that plan & feel better with exercise. I will return for a CBC in 4 months to see if my efforts are fruitful.