exercises for someone with sciatic pain?

Options
Hi everyone -

I have been dealing with sciatic pain for a few months now. I want to exercise, it's still a bit chilly for swimming yet. Should I walk just a bit? I don't want to push myself too hard but I want to do at least something. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem :)

My physio recommends that I do plenty of stretching (slow and steady) to stretch out my back and walking as well.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I have had sciatic pain for a long time. Strength training has helped me a lot. Building my core muscles has helped, but it has taken a looooong time.

Believe it or not, with modifications, kettlebells have been very helpful.

I hope you find a way to get some relief, I know it is not fun. :flowerforyou:
  • savingsunday
    savingsunday Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Options
    I had bulging disks that caused sciatic pain for years and eventually went to physical therapy. I learned in therapy that doing stretches where my back is arched helped more than anything. It relieved the pressure of the disks off of that nerve. The best thing I could do is lay on the floor on my stomach and push up with my hands. I usually had to start off on my elbows then move up to my hands, like in upward dog if you're doing yoga. If I was at work and need a quick stretch I put both hands on my hips and bend back as far as I could a few times.

When I got pregnant with my first son and my back was arched pretty much all the time for the last few months the pain pretty much went away forever. I get a twinge now and then and a quick stretch still helps.

Keep in mind this worked for me because of my specific back problem but it may not work for everybody. Can your doctor prescribe a few weeks of physical therapy so you can find the thing that works for you?