Shin Splints

Options
I've never had them, but think I might. How can I tell? And if I do have them, how can I take care of them so I don't damage anything?

Replies

• RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you have them, it would probably be a sharp pain that feels like it's right on the bone of your shin. I got them really bad the first time I trained for a half marathon; I would have to take days off at a time.

What ended up working for me was buying a package of 3oz. Dixie cups, clearing some space in my freezer, and filling them all with water and freezing them. Then, at minimum once a day (if not running, more if running that day) I would rub my shin with the ice and peel the paper cup back as it melts. Even when you think it's fully frozen, just go through the whole cup.

After a handful of times it made a huge difference for me!

As for how to keep them away, I found it best not to try. If you run a lot, or impact them in another way, they're going to happen. I honestly found continuing with my exercise program as-is and using lots of ice to keep it at bay worked best for me.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Te front lower part of your legs will be sore. There are streches you can do, you should look those up online. However, I have found that if you are running, you need the right kind of shoes. I actually went to a running shoe store in my area that videotapes you running snd then finds the right shoe for you. I really thought running is running, as long as you got tennis shoes...WRONG. I was getting shin splints and hurt my heal. Streching and the rigt shoes really make the difference! I did a lot of research about running, look up pronation and you wil let alot of info about form. As far as taking care of them, I have heard icing them to keep swelling down. I just took it easy for a few daysl
  • ZumbaBeast86
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I'm into Zumba dancing (a bit hardcore with 4-5 classes a week). Two weeks ago I felt a pain along my shin bones. It wasn't sharp, but it was definitely pain. A bit like growing pains meets muscle tenderness, but along the bone and not the muscle. I have cross-training shoes by Asics (which I love) and seem to be great for the Zumba workout. I might be over doing it as far as the intensity I'm putting in and the amount of time I spend at such a high intensity.

I'll try icing my shins and doing some of those stretches. Thanks for the input, guys!
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had a shin splint episode a while back and it wasn't pretty. I make sure to always stretch my shins after every workout that I do, especially if it involves running. Look up stretching moves for your shins. I keep ice packs in the freezer so I can apply them after a longer run or workout. I also went to a local run store and had them videotape me on a threadmill to determine what type of shoe was best. I stick to one particular shoe and I make sure to log my miles used, because all shoes have a lifespan. Haven't had shin splints since.
  • busyman_3
    Options
    Shin splints are when your cartilage tears away from your shin bones. They are tiny tears but enough to cause pain and in some cases...severe! I've seen a physical therapist because of them and they told me it's caused by tight calf muscles. You want to do stretches before and after your pysical activity. The stretches you do should be concentrated on stretching out your calves. Good luck!
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Could be a number of things:

-improper shoes/fitting
    -new to exercising and the impacts from your feet landing
    -improper stride

The only thing that will cure shin splints is rest. Try low impact exercises. It sucks but your not going to heal if you keep doing the same thing causing the injuries. Over time your body will adapt and be able to recover better and shin splints will be a thing of the past.