hip pain after walking/running

Options
I walk regularly, and attempt to run occasionally. I enjoy running while I'm doing it, but afterward (for DAYS afterward) I have considerable pain on the posterior side of my hip joints. I am diligent about stretching before and after a run, but it seems to do little good. My chiropractor has done some deep-tissue rehab stuff (not sure what... all I know is that it makes me cry:sad: ) that helps for a short time, but I'd really like to prevent that inflammation/pain if possible and not have to take ibuprofen for days on end. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what has worked for you? Massage? Chiropractic? Physical therapy? Specific stretches/exercises? There is an orthopedics/sports medicine clinic within a few hours of here - I've considered going there for a gait analysis, but it seems like that is something meant for 'athletes' - not casual runners like myself. (Additionally, I'm sure that it would be quite expensive!) Any other thoughts/suggestions/other things I should explore/ask about?
Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I get hip pain sometimes after long runs. My trainer advised that I do exercises to strengthen my hips and run up hills (to vary the incline, which puts less stress on your joints than a flat surface). Those two things have seemed to help a lot.

Maybe try meeting with a personal trainer, or do some of the hip exercises outlined here:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--13410-0,00.html
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    IT Band? Foam roller?