Shoulder Advice?

Options
My younger daughter, who is almost 9, is disabled. As a result, I have to lift her more than you would have to lift an ordinary kid her age. She's small for her age -- only about 65 pounds -- but my shoulders get so, so sore from helping her up and down and into and out of things.

I'm pretty good about protecting my back -- I know how to lift so that I protect my back, and it seems to work, because I haven't had any problems with my back -- but I am having rotten luck with my shoulders. They ache constantly. When it gets really bad, I get a massage, and so far that puts me right, but is there anything I can do that would keep me from getting so sore in the first place? Is there a better way to lift her that would also protect my shoulders? Is there a workout I could do that would strengthen my arms and shoulders so that lifting her is easier for me?

I've never been a weightlifter, but it might be time to start. The kid is only getting bigger, after all.

Replies

• sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    I have shoulder problems as well, but not for the same reasons. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that when I did exercises that require equal effort from both shoulders (push-ups, shoulder presses), that the right arm was doing all the lifting and the left arm was just sort of stabilizing. When I made adjustments to my posture so the left arm did equal work, the lift was impossible.

I told my husband about this, and how I planned to get a massage to see if they could work out some of the kinks. He said, "I think you should see a doctor before you see a masseuse." So, that's what I did. I went into a walk-in clinic near my house and was examined by one of their doctors.

I have a rare condition called winging of the scapula. It pretty much means that the scapular bone on the left side isn't attached the way it should be. No more lifting, pushing or pulling for me. At least until I can get in to see an orthopedist.

Long story short...go see a doctor. It sounds silly when we hear that we should consult a physician before starting an exercise program, but in the case of pain in the shoulders or back you really should do it. You could be preventing further injury. If I'd kept doing push ups on my shoulder, it's possible I could have caused permanent damage.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have shoulder problems as well, but not for the same reasons. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that when I did exercises that require equal effort from both shoulders (push-ups, shoulder presses), that the right arm was doing all the lifting and the left arm was just sort of stabilizing. When I made adjustments to my posture so the left arm did equal work, the lift was impossible.

I told my husband about this, and how I planned to get a massage to see if they could work out some of the kinks. He said, "I think you should see a doctor before you see a masseuse." So, that's what I did. I went into a walk-in clinic near my house and was examined by one of their doctors.

I have a rare condition called winging of the scapula. It pretty much means that the scapular bone on the left side isn't attached the way it should be. No more lifting, pushing or pulling for me. At least until I can get in to see an orthopedist.

Long story short...go see a doctor. It sounds silly when we hear that we should consult a physician before starting an exercise program, but in the case of pain in the shoulders or back you really should do it. You could be preventing further injury. If I'd kept doing push ups on my shoulder, it's possible I could have caused permanent damage.

:huh: Wow. Well, okay, see a doctor. And assuming I have orthopedically ordinary shoulders, then what?
  • makeitbetter
    Options
    My younger daughter, who is almost 9, is disabled. As a result, I have to lift her more than you would have to lift an ordinary kid her age. She's small for her age -- only about 65 pounds -- but my shoulders get so, so sore from helping her up and down and into and out of things.

I'm pretty good about protecting my back -- I know how to lift so that I protect my back, and it seems to work, because I haven't had any problems with my back -- but I am having rotten luck with my shoulders. They ache constantly. When it gets really bad, I get a massage, and so far that puts me right, but is there anything I can do that would keep me from getting so sore in the first place? Is there a better way to lift her that would also protect my shoulders? Is there a workout I could do that would strengthen my arms and shoulders so that lifting her is easier for me?

I've never been a weightlifter, but it might be time to start. The kid is only getting bigger, after all.

I agree that you could benefit from strength conditioning for your arms and shoulders. It certainly wouldn't hurt. First, I think you should examine the way you pick her up and talk to an orthopedic doctor about it. He/she can give you the best advice about preventing injury/soreness. It sounds like you may be holding her with your arms but letting her weight hang from your shoulder. I like push ups for shaping and strengthening arms and shoulders. They also work the core and back. They're simple and you don't need equipment. I hope this helps.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If your shoulders are sore, it's because that's what you're using to lift or support with. Good strengthening exercises for shoulders are dumbell side laterals, bent over laterals and shoulder presses for overall.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Thanks.