HRM accuracy

Options
13»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Hi, Banks!

I have Polar, and unlike other's experiences, mine shows very few calories.
    I think I am working like a mule, and I barely burning 200 cals according to that unfeeling device! :laugh:
    If I have to take 80 out on the top of that - I might as well not eat at all (just kidding):blushing: :bigsmile:

So, my question: can you enter your VO2 into Polar?
    I don't remember seeing that option.
    There are "OwnZone" thingy there, pretty obscure, but that I remember...

Ok so I was playing with my f-6 trying to figure it out since this thread got me wondering.....I found it under user settings. It was set to 18.

ok now see, for someone your age, it should be somewhere around 30, 18 is for like a 75 year old woman with emphysema. If you are in decent shape it should actually be closer to 35 then 30. I would google VO2max tests, you can do one at home (It's usually like a 10 ro 15 minute hard walk or run) and get within 10% of your actual VO2max

I used the chart on the site you posted and decided to set it at 30 before I saw your last post (above). cant wait to work out today and see what the difference is. Why would Polar use 18 and their default setting?! How many 75yo with emphysema are in their normal demographic?! :laugh: anyone else have an F6 that came set so low?

you got me on that one. I have no Idea why it's set there. You'd have to ask Polar.
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    soooo.....after correcting my vo2....:huh: I was short changing myself about 100 calories which...I am trying to look at it in a positive light...at least I wasn't thinking I was burning more than I was!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi, Banks!

I have Polar, and unlike other's experiences, mine shows very few calories.
    I think I am working like a mule, and I barely burning 200 cals according to that unfeeling device! :laugh:
    If I have to take 80 out on the top of that - I might as well not eat at all (just kidding):blushing: :bigsmile:

So, my question: can you enter your VO2 into Polar?
    I don't remember seeing that option.
    There are "OwnZone" thingy there, pretty obscure, but that I remember...

Ok so I was playing with my f-6 trying to figure it out since this thread got me wondering.....I found it under user settings. It was set to 18.

ok now see, for someone your age, it should be somewhere around 30, 18 is for like a 75 year old woman with emphysema. If you are in decent shape it should actually be closer to 35 then 30. I would google VO2max tests, you can do one at home (It's usually like a 10 ro 15 minute hard walk or run) and get within 10% of your actual VO2max

I used the chart on the site you posted and decided to set it at 30 before I saw your last post (above). cant wait to work out today and see what the difference is. Why would Polar use 18 and their default setting?! How many 75yo with emphysema are in their normal demographic?! :laugh: anyone else have an F6 that came set so low?

Mine was set at 28 when I got it. So go figure.
  • JennyGetsFit
    JennyGetsFit Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to get home and check my VO2.
    Exciting!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't think the Reebok one lets me set VO2 Max. It has something called "Fit" which sound similar but it's calculated based on your inputs and I haven't figured out a way to change it. It set mine as 32 the last time I updated my weight.
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't think the Reebok one lets me set VO2 Max. It has something called "Fit" which sound similar but it's calculated based on your inputs and I haven't figured out a way to change it. It set mine as 32 the last time I updated my weight.

Hold the bottom right button in and it should let you change the information in it.

That stinks that everyone is having problems with their reebok one. I had a problem with mine once and that was only because I forgot to wet it first. Other than that I have never had an issue. I will consider myself lucky. I wear mine right beneath my sports bra, not under it.

P.S. Banks, I just read some of your blog and LOVE it. I bookmarked it and plan on attempting one of your workouts soon. :happy:
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    Here is a site that might help. It gives different ways to test your VO2 max at home.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2max.htm
    That's an excellent site!
    I plugged my half-marathon race time and it put me into at squarely at 30 VO2!
    Provided last half-marathon I ran in 2007...oh, well :bigsmile:
    Saves me the headache of running 12 minutes and figuring out the distance.!
    Thank you dearest!
  • JennyGetsFit
    Options
    Once you know your VO2 max (which means the maximum ammount of oxygen entering your body per kilagram of bodyweight.) your HRM will be much more accurate. SHboss is axactly right. Now when you buy your next polar you will also have a option for Zone percentages. Make sure you put in your percentages to make it even more accurate. The usual is Zone 1 52%, Zone 2 58%, Zone 3 75% Zone 4 is 83% and Zone 5 92%

That's next on my list.

Did you reset upper/lower limits for Intervals?
    What time and HR do you use for that?
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Yea, I was wondering if that was anything like the VO2 max thing.... is this just the FIT thing...fitness/intensity/time thing? I learned it in college but I'm not sure what number to put in the watch.....does anyone have any idea???
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I take it you can't enter the VO2 max on the Polar F4?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I take it you can't enter the VO2 max on the Polar F4?

I don't think so, I don't have one, but it didn't mention it in the manual.