Is Zumba easy or hard? I want honest opinions .

Options
2»

Replies

• justaspringhaze
    Options
    I love Zumba! I've found that the difficulty varies by teacher. I am a TERRIBLE dancer, so I struggle with classes that are led by teachers with a strong background in dance, but I LOVE classes that are led by teachers with more of an aerobics orientation. It really depends on the teacher, and it's so worth a try!
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Zumba is hard one of the best workouts! sweat so much! but lets face it if it was easy wouldnt be a good workout for weight loss!
    it is so much fun though! i can an hour now and i can tell you by the end i can barley breath and well the sweating is eeeewww :laugh:
    Give it a go you will be hooked
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I can't dance at all. I found rumba far to easy to be worthwhile as a workout, but frustratingly hard as a dance.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

(ps for the first few times concentrate on your legs and worry about what your arms are doing later )

I so agree with this. I've been doing it over a year now and my arms still do different things than the instructor. I can't seem to coordinate the top and bottom of my body.

The great thing about it is that nobody cares. It's not a dance class, there's no performance, as long as you're moving about and pushing yourself you'll get a great workout.

It's as easy or hard as you make it, you can tailor the moves to suit yourself if some of them are too hard or high impact. Our instructor is an ex Latin American dance champion so she's a very good dancer and has the wiggle down. I find some of the more wiggly dancy moves impossible but it really doesn't matter. I just wiggle a bit, do my thing and it's all good.

I'd totally recommend trying it. I'm a person who has never been to an exercise class more than twice before quitting because I find them boring, but here I am over a year later still looking forward to my Zumba classes each week.

I go with my mum who's 61, she loves it too. There are all ages, shapes and abilities and no one feels out of place or self conscious because everyone's having too much fun.
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am very uncoordinated, and it took most of the first class to get the hang of most of the moves...and I didn't think I would last the whole hour. But it got easier and easier every time, until I wasn't watching the clock all the time. And it was so much FUN. I've never laughed so much in an exercise class. You'll love it, I have no doubt, if you give it a bit of a chance.
  • jes1975
    jes1975 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba.

I have issues with my joints so I opted to go to the Zumba Gold class, which is not as intense as the normal fitness class. I have also ventured into Zumba Toning which is not too bad for me (even if I do have to put the weights down sometimes).

Zumba is what you make of it. There are times when I struggle with specific moves, however in the spirit of Zumba I just keep moving and do my own thing until the routine is back on a move I can cope with (be it mentally or physically).

I also have the first zumba game for the wii, and some zumba DVDs. These are a bit more intense, but the joy of the DVD/wii is that I can stop it and come back to it and not worry about wasting money on a class I can't do.

Can you tell I've just finished a night shift? I'm rambling on a bit now.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Did it this morning, and we had a lot of fun. It wasn't a difficult workout (I'd say it's light / moderate cardio), and the moves required concentration, but were manageable (and I am very uncoordinated!). And as others have said, it's very acceptable, if you lose your way, to bounce about enthusiastically till you find your way back in again.

My daughter coped with it all well too.

It was a good, fun way to burn some cals and get the heart rate up a bit. I wouldn't have it as my main workout, but it was very cool, and we'll definitely do it again. Probably make it a once a week kind of thing.
  • AnnetteBailey71
    Options
    Hi ya ...

I participate in alot of aerobic excersise ...Body attack , Body combat , Body Pump and Zumba as well as running and cycling ..i know sounds mental...

Body attack and the les mills programes are very structured so therefore are easier to pick up and follow and i would say a good way to build endurance quickly , i love the pounding thumping beat which makes the moves easier to follow... however body attack is absolutely the hardest one but my most favourite .
    Zumba when done correctly can give as much of a buzz as body attack and combat if you give it your all ...You will be abit all over the place at first but just stick with it and eventually it will fall into place .Zumba isnt as structured and there is more freestyling involved
    My only advice would be is find firstly an instructor thats really good with lots and lots of enthusiasm ...i do zumba with a guy called johnny stewart and i have to say i have never met anyone quite like him in the gym lol ...he is absolutely mad but his enthusiasm is infectcious
    Secondly the music has to do it for you ...im sorry but i once attended a Zumba class where they played rock around the clock and it nearly put me off for life lol ...
    Lastly just have fun, smile when your doing it and just let go its actually a very liberating form of excercise and once you get into it its addictive
    Go for it ...best of luck x