When you reach your goal weight, will you go back to eating

Options
2»

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I was eating too much crap and way too much food in general. MFP has taught me to eat more consciously, so, no, I intend to continue eating the way I am now. I don't feel at all deprived, I have the occassional "over the top" foods, but honestly, I seldom crave the junk I used to eat.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    There is now comparison to the quality of food that I consume today compared to what I ate before... I ate pure junk food back 34 months ago and now my lifestyle consist of healthier food choices with the occasional spike day meal. I don't want to eat the way I use to because frankly I eat more food now at 3200 calories a day then I ever ate (dietician figured I was consuming over 7000 calories a day at my heaviest @560 lbs.) back when I started because that food was filled with empty calories.... So no way will I ever go back to that man, he is long gone in my rear view mirror....
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    i'm already eating at my goal weight's maintenance level and i pretty much eat anything i want as long as it fits in my weekly calorie budget.

i didnt get overweight necessarily because of what i was eating, but because of how much of it i was eating.

so yeah i'l probably eat exactly the same way i am now.
    I could have written this...

The reason so many "diets" fail is because they are not sustainable in the long term. Changes which you make have to be changes you can live with forever otherwise you are in danger of going back to the way things were and the weight will creep back on.

I am getting to the point where I truly understand portion control and I feel satisfied with what I'm eating. Exercise is not a chore but something I enjoy, so I can't imagine now not going swimming or going out on the bike, so being active will allow me to enjoy my weekend drinks, my evening treats and looking good in regular sized clothing will ensure I never get FAT again.
  • fern90
    fern90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I forgot to bring a lunch with me to class today, and since I was going to be on campus until 7pm or so I grabbed some chicken tenders and curly fries at my school cafeteria (a favorite of mine my freshman and sophomore years). I felt a bit gross right after eating them, but then a few hours later my digestive system went absolutely haywire and still feel nauseous 10 hours later. I don't think I could eat the exact same way I did before even if I wanted to, my body would revolt!

This just happened to me last night when I ate pasta, and I'd wondered what was wrong with me because I absolutely love (loved?) pasta. I felt so uneasy, something like digestion, I wondered why my body protested.

I feel deprived though, haven't been eating a lot to meet the daily calorie goal. :(
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone do such a thing?
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    No, my primary goal is to teach myself how to eat a healthy nutritious diet whilst at a calorie deficit currently.

When I reach my goal weight I will increase my calories to maintenance slowly while still eating as healthily as I can.

I don't deny myself naughty treats but eat them, as well as everything else, in moderation.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I thought i was eating healthy before. But now I know that I wasn't.

Like others have said, if I ate the way I use to eat, I'd still be 25lbs heavier.

I'm happier now than I have ever been. I'd rather be lighter and exercise to eat the foods I want to eat.

and as the saying goes "eat for the body you want, not for the body you have".
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Im at goal-I have been maintaining for about three or four months... I eat whatever I want one day of the week and dont log and literally eat anything I fancy. I stick to my maintenace calories the rest of the week wherever possible and I do cardio six days a week-it works for me... I may fluctuate up and down but I have basically maintained.... everyone is different....

I do find bread, pasta bloats me right up though and if I eat pizza which I used to love...then it makes me nauseous- I think its the cheese- I hardly eat that at all now... the smell of greasy food turns my stomach now too and the only takeaway food I can stomach is Subway or mcdonalds chicken salad deli wrap- the thought of the burgers actually make me feel sick..... and I definitely cant eat as much as I used to... this can only be a good thing......

You will find your tastebuds change and your ability to handle junk food... I feel like I need a day off to eat what I want....as ong as it is one day then I eat righ tthe rest of the week then I dont see the issue .... to be honest its mainly chocoalte and cake that I find myself eating on my day off !!! :0) I also always exercise on my cheat day-my rest day for the exercise is never the same day as the food cheat day...... hope this helps :0)

Emma xx
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Probably, yes. I'm not too sure what my goal weight really is - maybe five pounds less than I am now? But, I expect I'll go through phases of being very careful, then letting it go, then getting it back down, again. I don't really think it matters. I just don't want to weigh a lot more than I do, now. My activity level will also fluctuate with the seasons. It's very dark and wet here during the winter, so I don't expect to do much hiking and running for weeks here and there.
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    2 wks ago, I had my first (and hopefully ONLY) irrational slide off the "program". I experienced a big disappointment and instead of fighting it, I started eating. Kept thinking that each day would be the day I pick myself and get back on.....After a week or so and a day or 2 to get myself back on track, I doubt that I would have been able to do it without MFP. Had I used the site to seek help in getting over the crisis, the crisis eating never would have happened. It was just old familiar behavior.

At about the same time, I was getting a swelled head over losing 40lb and having perfect blood sugar readings day after day and that's where I became truly irrational. I also had a CT scan that week and found out that my diabetic med - Metformin had seriously damaged my kidneys - which may have had something to do with becoming irrational (I was verrrry angry). I swore off the Metformin and was too mad to call the doc to ask for something else. I stopped taking ALL of my meds except for my antidepressant and Adderall. About 3 or 4 days ago I stepped on the scale expecting to find that I was losing the recent gain and instead found that I had GAINED 19 pounds in about 8 days. WTF!!!!

I'm kind of clueless at times - suddenly realized that my feet were swollen and I'd been ignoring it. That was a huge part of the 19 lb. I dropped 8 pounds in 3 days and I'm sure there's more that is just water weight.

So, NO - I won't "go back" ever again. 25 yrs ago I lost 160lb. Ever since then I've failed every time I had a crisis. This time I was able to stop and get over it. However I am left with the embarrassing problem - while picking up my "acceptable" meds at the RX, they had automatically filled ALL of my other meds. and I said, "oh, I don't need those anymore. I won't take them." Now I need the refills and will have to admit to the doc what I did so she can get the RX to fill them. and no, I didn't go back on the Metformin. That drug should be banned.
  • JayBeeGo
    JayBeeGo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Assuming your diary entries are complete I don't know whether I'd be more concerned about the apparent low calorie intake or the herbalist inspired detox programme. I appreciate your reference to health issues and hopefully you sought your doctor's advice before you embarked on your current diet and weight loss programme.

I can understand why you are thinking about your future diet because the risk of putting weight back on is very real, not least I suspect based on your current diet.

In general I would personally be inclined to eat a recognised well balanced healthy diet - full stop.
    As you approach your target weight adjust the calorie intake to suit and thereafter maintain it.

I believe you exercise which of course is highly desirable.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict anything now so my eating habits won't change much. I'm trying to think of this as a lifestyle change and not a "diet" and I still eat all of the things that I love...I just eat them in smaller quantities and not as often as I did before.