coconut fat = coconut oil???

Options
Meg_78
Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
So I'm still new to the game here, and I'm hearing a bunch of talk about the benefits of coconut oil. Now being in Sweden, I'm wondering if something is being lost in translation, I hear people talk about organic coconut oil, and have seen it here on line, and its not cheap, but there is also something called "coconut fat" which is sold in the dairy section at the super market like a block of butter, and is hard and slightly transparent white. Obviously not organic, as it is fairly cheap to buy, but I always thought this stuff was unhealthy as all hell, so am I mixing up my oils and fats or is coconut fat the same thing as coconut oil???

Thanks in advance.

Meg

Replies

• GoalSixPack
    Options
    Bump- was wondering this myself.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It is probably refined and will contain trans fat.
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sounds like pretty much the same thing. I buy the Spectra organic coconut oil and it comes in a jar but it is hard white substance that I have to "dig" out of the jar.

Can't say 100%, but it does sound like it looks the same :o)
  • Meg_78
    Options

So that makes it not good any longer, or about the same as other vegetable oils?
  • alltacht
    alltacht Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ive never seen coconut fat here (In Ireland), but our coconut oil is exactly as you described, in a tub, solid and white. You can get it cheap (use it as a hair treatment or moisturiser), but some people who buy it to eat it prefer to buy the more expensive Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. If you look in a health shop they should be able to show you. Coconut Oil is solid but if you rub it in your hands/heat it a little it turns to oil. So it sounds like your coconut fat is probably the same thing!
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It might be the same thing. I get virgin coconut oil and use it in my coffee, on my skin and in my dogs' food. It comes in a jar and is solid and white in the winter and melts clear in warm weather. The thing is you have to get virgin coconut oil and not refined coconut oil. Organic is good but not completely vital. Coconut oil is fat but it's good fat.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I take virgin coconut oil capsules everyday and let me tell you...my skin and hair have changed so much it is nuts! I feel better as well :) Takes about a month to see results, that and it is excellent for your immunity system.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    To get the health benefits from coconut oil(which is in a jar and solid here in the US) u need cold pressed unrefined extra virgin...I like barleans best. I get it online..

Not sure if there is a difference in calling it "fat" or oil...but what is in the dairy section sounds more like butter to me...and refined will be cheaper.

❤
  • NekaLee
    NekaLee Posts: 51
    Options
    how much c.nut oil are you ladies taking daily?
  • Meg_78
    Options
    Thanks, yeah, I'd say it is refined, I'll check out the health store for a extra virgin variety!
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options

So that makes it not good any longer, or about the same as other vegetable oils?
    Coconut oil contains saturated fat (like animal fats) but there may be some health benefits. Many refined coconut oils (not spectrum) are hydronated and contain trans fat (very bad for you). Most vegetable oils are liquid at room temperature so are not saturated fats but can also be hydronated (margerine). People debate whether coconut oil is better than veg oil. I use extra virgin coconut oil. The coconut flavor is removed when the oil/fat is refined.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    how much c.nut oil are you ladies taking daily?

I take a tablespoon every day....it tastes great in a protein shake..or coffe..and I cook with it... I use the refined kind on my skin ;)
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NekaLee
    NekaLee Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you, Jen. I'll buy some today!!! I can add it to my smoothies in the morning.
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is very good for you. It cotains medium chain fatty acids which are very good for you. Yes they are saturated fats but good ones (yes there are such things, same as olive oil etc). If you are getting it to consume you need to ideally buy cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil. Try amazon or very good health food stores. I've never heard of coconut fat. A lot of people cook with it as it is in a solid state below 76 degrees. Also people take up to a tablespoon after meals. It can be tricky to get used to but it is worth incorporating into your diet even though it is high in calories.
  • doreen4852
    Options
    I have seen reports of another benefit from coconut oil. If you consume small amounts of it daily, it is supposed to reverse or protect you from dementia.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Like others have said you want virgin cold pressed Coconut Oil -

It is my go to oil for almost everything - sauteeing up things...I use it when cooking.

it usually comes in a jar - you should be able to find a jar at your local store in the organics section for about $8-10 a jar depending on brand. I actually buy mine from Trader Joes for about $6 a jar.

I use about a jar and a half a month...
  • This_Daddy_Rocks
    Options
    bump