Turkey Meatball Subs! (with pic)

Options
lina1131
lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
Sometimes while i'm in line at Subway ordering my veggie delite (on honey oat, with lettuce, spinach, extra tomatoes, cucumbers, black olives, onions and yes, cheese BTW) I day dream of sinking my teeth into the meatball sub instead. I would have already nipped that craving in the butt (bud or butt? someone please explain lol) but I am grossed out by the meat at Subway so I really never get any meat on my sandwiches!

I decided to make my own. It took forever to even think of doing this, and i'm not sure why, because it is simply the most simple recipe EVAH!

You will need:

1/2 a bag of frozen turkey meatballs (mine were the Kroger brand, but Jennie-O makes them too and several other brands. OR HEY, if you are in the mood for some kitchen fun, make your own!) I believe mine were about 36 small turkey meatballs in the crockpot. The bag had 66.

1 jar of spaghetti sauce (I use bertolli olive oil & garlic)

1 can diced tomatoes

Some onion flakes

Garlic Powder

Oregano - As far as spices are concerned, add as much or as little as you want! Sky is the limit!

Throw all of your ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.

Then you will need:

A hoagie roll

Thin cut provolone (or any kind of cheese you want. I bought the 40 calorie slice thin provolone)

Cut bread in the middle leaving it attached, place 4 to 6 meatballs inside, top with some cheese, stick in the oven for a few minutes until cheese is melted.

It was SOOOOOOOOOO good.

The calorie count on mine with bread, cheese and all was 428 calories (because my husband put 3 slices of cheese and 6 meatballs without asking me. :sad: It's a lie that i'm crying, I was all sorts of happy! :laugh:) You can reduce your meatballs to 4 and your cheese to a slice or 2 and reduce the calorie intake.

Enfreakin'joy!

m224357778.jpg

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    looks very yummy...i never think of adding things like this to our menu...i soooo should...thanks
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yum -- mouth is watering...Gonna give this a try. ( By the way, I think is nipped in the bud -- as if you nip a bud off , it won't grow.)
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Great weekend meal idea...thanks!!!
  • nytdreamer80
    nytdreamer80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    oh man. That looks TO DIE FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing girl!
  • egiakatt
    egiakatt Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KMiche82
    KMiche82 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • sweetfacephoto
    sweetfacephoto Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Why did I come into the recipe boards? Y'all are making me SO hungry. lol

Thanks for sharing this. I was just at Togo's the other day getting my mini a turkey sandwich; I saw the guy in front of me getting a meatball sub and I was mentally d-r-o-o-l-i-n-g over it. lol Definitely gonna give this recipe a try.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Oh.my.goodness!!!

I make those at home some times with extra lean groud beef. AMAZING!
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    mmm, fantastic, they're even better with pizza sauce instead of pasta sauce.
  • Brennaohh
    Brennaohh Posts: 47
    Options
    omgzzz YUM!

perfect meal if you're feeding yourself and a boyfriend, healthy and satisfying
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Looks like the Subway one too!
  • Stephendw9
    Stephendw9 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump