Brown Rice w/ salt?

Options
Hi everyone, so I'm planning on trying brown rice for the first time and I was researching preparation methods as I'm aware its a little different to white rice. Do you use salt? Or is isnt needed?

Thanks for your input!

Replies

• Khole02
    Khole02 Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi! When I cook brown rice in a Rice pot I don't put any salt, brown rice in general is a bit bland tasting at first but the taste grows on you. :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I put a tiny bit of olive oil in the pot to prevent it from sticking. I've never used salt.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    i don't used salt. I found the easiest way for me to cook it is to boil it for 5 minutes and then turn the burner off for 45 min-hr. I often start if before the evenings events and then turn it off and when I get home I just turn it on to a medium temp to finish it off :-)
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i always use salt, also a lot of people suggest using chicken stock, next time i run out of brown rice (in the refrigerator) ill make it with the chicken stock i bought but then it probably won't need salt.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    White rice w/MSG > Brown rice w/salt
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I can't stand brown rice. Basmati white rice :P~~~~~
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

^^Ricecism^^
  • thatguy010
    thatguy010 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good for you to switch to brown rice, I did that too cause it's healthier. It has a lower GI rating and has more fiber
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

^^Ricecism^^

LOL, I'll own that.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'd probably use some salt if you're eating it by itself. If it's mixed with other things you probably don't need it. It's really a personal preference though... just try it and then you can add salt if desired.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Low sodium broth or herbs and water. I like 1 bay leaf, garlic, basil or thyme.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I put a little salt on it when I'm eating it by itself but I don't crazy with it. I've also cooked it with chicken broth but I wasn't crazy about that. I like some of the herb suggestions I've seen above, so I may try those.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Actually, there is a lot of variation in the GI of rice types... Based on GI alone, there is no great reason to choose brown rice over white. The benefits of brown rice over white are really minimal, unless your diet is really poor in fiber. Rice, in general, is not a grain that is over-processed like wheat is. This is not a food I suggest getting hypercritical about.

Food GI Value
    Barley, pearled 25
    Converted, White 38
    Long grain, White 44
    Buckwheat 54
    Brown 55
    Basmati 58
    Couscous 65
    Cornmeal 68
    Aborio 69
    Short grain, White 72
    Instant, White 87
    Wild rice 87 (I should point out that wild rice is a grass, not a "rice")
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I cook brown rice in low-sodium fat free chicken broth instead of water. It is much more flavorful that way.

If I am out of broth and cook it in water, I do not put salt in the water. Instead, I lightly salt my portion. It is also delicious with some freshly cracked black pepper (and a little butter if you're so inclined).