Walking

Options
I have never been the type of person to go on walks.. but this morning I did, using my new heart rate monitor. I walked very briskly, for 30 min and it says I burned 271 calories?! Does this seem right ?! I weigh 134 if that matters. It just seems like a lot ! My heart rate was about 72% the whole time.

ALSO; does anyone know of any good ear phones that won't fall out when you run ???

Replies

• ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I burn about 250 calls in 45 min, walking at a leisurely pace but I am 250 lbs. It depends on how fast you walk.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    That sounds a little high but everyone is different. Assuming you set up your HRM properly if you averaged 72% of the estimated MaxHR you're getting a pretty good workout.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6' and 137. I walk to work (and back) most days. My HRM says I burn 200 in 30 minutes going to work and 235 going home (hill).
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right, If you start to put a jog into that it goes up alot too. Have fun with it soon you will be like " I must get out there today"
  • taylcran
    taylcran Posts: 4
    Options
    I ran for like 30 sec intervals a few times. I have asthma and it's hard for me to run :( But maybe that's why I burned so many.
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Walking + Running is actually considered HIIT and that is possible the best way to burn fat. No wonder you burned so many calories! Way to go!
  • txvettegal
    txvettegal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds very possible to me. I have been walking now for over two years and I am very competitve wtih myself. I alternate between distance, then speed to work my time down. For hte most part when I am walking with someone else I let them "lead" and I push them once in a while but we consistently keep it under a 15 minute mile.

I hve very long legs and once I get into my rythem and zone my best times have generally hit the 12.75 minute mile range (and that is all walking, no jogging or running incorporated into it). On average when I "slow down" to a 14-15 minute mile I can easily burn 100+ calories per mile. But like others have said, it is definitely a personal thing for every body type and weight as well.

Good luck with your workouts! :)
  • txvettegal
    Options
    PS: as far as earphones or earbuds go... I don't use them. I stuff my iphone and ID into a cuff that I pull up around my upper arm and just hit my pandora or music library along with my GPS tracker for timing myself against my previous outings. I got it at Walmart but they are everywhere. I didn't like the ones that you velcro around your arm as they were too bulky for me.
  • txvettegal
    Options
    Woohoo! At least I'm doing something right! LOL :)

This was actually supposed to be a reply to ATK57's post about the benefits of walking/running.... I have to figure out why it posted to the main post and not as a reply to his post.... sorry
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you're walking fast then you can burn quite a few calories. I just started walking daily myself and am really enjoying it even though it is raining today :sad:

My favorite headphones are the ones that came with my Zune. They do not fall out and the sound quality is amazing. I've misplaced them a time or two and picked up another pair of gummies, I think they were called and hated the sound quality. My Zune earbuds never fall out.