I need some feedback

Options
Here is the dilemma.

I started dieting March 31, 2012 so that is 11 days. I lost 10 lbs right away ( first four days). Now I am up 1lb., and I am practically suicidal over it (not really, I am just making a point). I feel lousy and I feel like an absolute loser.

I am faithfully following a 1200 calorie meal plan.

This happens to me all of the time. I can't even blame it on age, because I did this when I was in my 20s too. The only time I actually lose consistently is if I fast long-term. My personal best was 90 days (with Slim Fast 2x a day) and then I added a salad once a day to the Slim Fast. I was taking a handful of vitamins each day to make up for the lack of food.

Every body is different and it leads me to wonder if my body is just better at a very low calorie level.

I would love to hear feedback on this.

Replies

• silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Please remember that it didn’t take you over night to get you where you are. It won’t take over night getting to where you are going either. Never DIET…, change your lifestyle & change your life.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness!! Our food doesn't turn into fat overnight and glom onto our thighs! It takes time for you to accumulate enough extra food to gain a single pound of fat. The reverse is also true. You eat at a deficit and eventually it will add up to 3500 calories, which is one pound of weight. At some point AFTER this 3500 calories has been accumulated, the fat will be released by your metabolic system.

For me, it takes 10 days to 2 weeks to see results from what I'm doing (gain or loss). You have lost 9 pounds in 11 days. Of course, it's mostly water, but still...9 POUNDS in 11 DAYS is amazing!. Normally, 2 pounds per week is the maximim possible in a sustainable, healthy manner. So you've already had a month's worth of weight loss in just the first week and a half.

So be patient and trust that this will work for you, just like the other millions that it works for. Keep eating right, keep working out, keep tracking, and keep measuring your body.

If nothing else has happened after 2 months, then start worrying!!
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This will happen throughout ur weightloss journey (ugh, such a cliched phrase!). Consider the up a lb, down two, to just be part of it all. If u call this ur body's testing lb (does she mean it this time? Is she really doing this?) then it takes on less prominance. Good luck. Be more stubborn than ur chub! U will win!
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Like above mentioned a diet implies that its just temporary, really you should be aiming to change your lifestyle so that you can achieve something maintanable without worrying about gaining it all back. that said think about how long it took for you to be at weight you are now , It is going to take time to get rid of it, thats just the way it works.. cutting your intake too quickly will lead to quick losses like you describe but your body will rebel since you are drastically changing what it is used to getting . go for something gradual and therefore maintanable it will benefit you way more in the long run
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You might be eating too little - eating above BMR (Tools > BMR) means that your body has some reserve energy to do things.

I'll leave this for you to read and consider: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method

I used that method to end my plateau
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    You have absolutely not given it enough time. It is a long process. At its quickest it takes 6ish months for a significant weight loss. Also, it sounds like you are undereating. I could be wrong, but I would look up BMR and TDEE and ask someone who knows how on here to figure up what your calorie intake should be.

Be proud of what you have accomplished and start considering health improvement and not just scale movement.

God bless! Just keep holding on, the time will pass quickly!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week. You are upset about not getting 1 pound a day. Do you want to do this the healthy way? If so, you need to rethink your priorities and goals. If you want to get healthy and fit, not just drop pounds, you need to do the work. You need to eat and you need to work at it. There isn't any way around it.
  • lordsangel
    lordsangel Posts: 167
    Options
    Please remember that it didn’t take you over night to get you where you are. It won’t take over night getting to where you are going either. Never DIET…, change your lifestyle & change your life.

yes exactly! and your body isn't used to this new diet so its goin to hold on a little bit but just keep it up. It WILL come off. :wink:
  • censuscup
    Options
    Your body is going into starvation mode, meaning that you are consuming far less than before and your body is trying to hold onto whatever you put in it. If you up your calories to 1500 per day for a week, your body will start to come out of starvation mode. Then slowly go back down to 1200 calories over the next week.
  • killinme
    killinme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I have gained a pound on a 1200 calorie diet plan.

I use the term diet as in the food eaten not as in a temporary process, as in "I am on a diet".

I took a long hard look at my goals and decided to change my outlook.

I followed the MFP guidelines, and I think I may have a metabolism issue, since I have gained.
    That is what I am trying to figure it out.

It does appear that the majority opinion is that the MFP is giving me a caloric goal that is actually too low. I will attempt to increase the caloric intake for a week and see if that does the trick.

Unfortunately, I always have this issue and have just given up before. I gained a total of 25 lbs once, before I stopped the meal plan that I was on.

The feedback is great and I do very much appreciate it.

Have a superb day!
    Thank you very much.