Need your help: Calorie intake – what’s the right number

Options
I need some suggestions. I have been trying to lose weight and feel like I’m doing everything right, but the scale isn’t really moving. I’m 34 yrs old, 5’11”, and currently weigh 184 lbs. I’ve lost 7 pounds so far. My goal is to get down to 170, (ultimately 155 but I can take that one more slowly), but I’d really like to be at 175 by mid to the end of May. I’m typically eating 1600 calories a day and usually don’t eat my exercise calories, although some days I may eat as many as 1700-1800 calories. I typically exercise 5-6 days a week, burning anywhere from 250 to 600 calories, depending on the day. I’ve tried to calculate my TDEE to get the “right” number but am a little confused about that. My nutritionist says just stay within 1400-1600 calories and don’t eat back exercise calories. I’m trying to eat 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat. Most days my protein is around 100g. I’m also drinking anywhere from 12-16 cups of water a day.

So like I said, I think I’m doing this right, but nothing is happening. The other problem is that I’m pretty hungry most of the time, especially in the evening. I almost always go to bed hungry. 1600 calories seems like a good amount, so I can’t figure out why I’m still hungry. Finally, I’m really in this for a lifestyle change; I want good health and to lose some weight because the weight I’m at isn’t a healthy weight for me. I say that because I really don’t want to eat less than 1400 calories a day because I know I won’t be able to sustain that. Does anyone have any suggestions, or is there something you have done that has worked for you?

Replies

• freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When you say "typically" eat 1600 calories a day, what does that mean? Does that mean you say eff it all one day a week and eat whatever you want? Or does it mean you log 1800 or 1200 some days? Do you log every single thing you eat?

Also, how long have you been at it?
  • alim10
    alim10 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1600 a day and I log everything. Actually, I don't ever go over 1600 for net calories. What I meant was that I may end up cosuming 1800 calories, but my exercise brings it back down, so I net anywhere from 1300-1600 calories daily. My nutrionist had said not to eat back exercise calories, but I've been hearing so much about TDEE that I'm getting confused about what's the right way to do this. I've been actively trying to lose weight, including eating well and exercising, for 2 months. I've lost the 7 pounds in about 3 months.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say you should not eat back exercise calories, because I'm not an expert.

But when you go to a TDEE calculator, it asks you your level of exercise and adds that in, does it not? So, if your TDEE is 2515 exercising 3-5 days a week (which yours is, so sayeth fitnessfrog), and you're eating 1600 calories, that's a deficit of approximately 900 calories a day.

For example, if you eat 1600 calories, burn 600, then eat the 600 back, you've eaten 2200 calories and only have a defict of 315 for the day, which will net you less than a pound per week if done every day, which if you cheat even a little bit could cause you to not see enough change to convince you any change is occurring.

I would say if you're going to eat your calories back, eat 1200 or your BMR, whichever you prefer, not 1600. You are probably having a more satisfactory deficit on days when you eat 1300, I would imagine.

If you're not going to eat your calories back, find your TDEE and subtract 500 for 1 pound a week, 1000 for 2. (500 is more sustainable.)

You will feel fuller if you raise your protein and fiber intake and limit sugar and refined breads. Even fruit doesn't last long in your belly, but you should still have a serving or two per day of that.
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    We are similar, although you're taller than me. I'm 35 and started at 186.

What worked for me to really get started was to have a very consistent diet and exercise plan. I actually had a menu from my nutritionist and classes, so my intake and output was VERY VERY consistent. My initial menu plan was pretty strict.....very low fat, no white sugar, no alcohol, very low carbs, high protein, very even intake throughout the day. I did that for 3 weeks and lost 11lbs, and I'm down nearly 30 at this point in just over 3 months.
  • alim10
    Options
    freckledrats - You made some great points - thank you! And I think it's better not to eat the exercise calories, because you're right, then my deficit is less.
  • alim10
    Options
    IveLanded - what's your breakdown percentage-wise of fat, carbs, protein? Just curious...