I told my weight to a coworker...

Options

Replies

• sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'd rather LOOK like I weigh less than be hung up on a # on the scale. I'm 5'11 & when I weighed 144 I looked like I weigh more than I do currently...which is somewhere in the 150s (I'm 29 days scale-free so have no clue). My advice: try not to place so much value in a number. It's just a number. Focus on how you look & feel which is the best indicator of your success. Great job, by the way :smile:

LOVE THIS ADVICE :)
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS weighed more than what people think I do...even as a teenager, in really good shape. Its okay!

Same here. I still do, and may not look it but I have come to accept part of it. SO now, I just focus on making that weight more 'muscle' then 'fat' (=
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I think its something people are insecure about needlessly.

I think it makes perfect sense that someone could be insecure. We live in a Lookist culture in which women are judged particularly harshly on their appearance. The fact that you and I disapprove doesn't mean that atmosphere doesn't exist.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

As for weight perceptions, well lots of people have tried guessing my weight and they're all about 30lbs or under my actual weight.

Why on earth are people going around guessing each other's weight? Don't they have better things to do? Is this a carnival game?
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I am 5' 8" and weigh 154lbs.

Until I read this line I thought you were obese or at least overweight. But you're obviously not at all and your weight is nothing to be embarrassed about.
    I know I'm probably being rude here, but come on, just get over it!
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Maybe if she complains about her weight to you again, you can say, "No worries, dear! If you just start toning up those muscles I'm sure you could look as awesome as me!"

Because really, I'll bet *her* issue is that she has less muscle mass-- skinny and flabby.
    I'm also 5' 8" and my *goal* weight is 160-165. I would be thrilled, ecstatic, dancing-on-the-ceiling happy to be at 154! And if someone my height was complaining about being a *smaller* weight, I'm pretty sure I'd have to punch them right in the nose (after I told them to get a life!)

Life is really too short to be worried about who's skinnier, who's making more money, and who's sleeping with whom....
    "The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything." Try to be that person!
    *Hugs*
  • messybessie1
    Options
    Don't worry about it! i'm 5"7 and weight 155lbs! People are always shocked when they find out how much I weigh BUT that just means you don't look that much, so don't worry. Plus, you're going to lose what you feel you don't need and look awesome. Plus if she's 10lbs lighter than you and you look the same now, imagine how much better than her you'll look when you weigh the same!! :) be happy :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think people generally mean that as a compliment...

How do you know she didn't have permission to mention the other person's weight?
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    What a wanker! Don't even worry about her. Your weight is perfectly normal. When I was at a normal weight, I know that I have to carry 10 lbs or so more than a lot of my friends because I feel and look sickly otherwise. Don't let her issues become your issues.
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the responders. Your body structure makes you weigh differently than others of the same height. Look at your shapes. Are you both broad shouldered, narrow hipped, or the opposite? One of each? What is your frame like. Do you have narrow fingers and thin wrists or are you a heavier bone structure? How much muscle/fat are you carrying? I have two daughters, both about my heighth.(5'5"-5'6") One weighs 127, one is 145, and I am 150. The lighter daughter and I have fine frames and should weight less, so I am still overweight. The heavier daughter has almost no fat on her, but is athletic and has her father's heavier bone structure. The right weight for you is the one that you and your doctor think is healthy. That's why there is a range in the healthy BMI for people. Don't let your coworker make you feel bad. You may need to be heavier than your coworker to be healthy.
  • arlo1028
    arlo1028 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it! i'm 5"7 and weight 155lbs! People are always shocked when they find out how much I weigh BUT that just means you don't look that much, so don't worry. Plus, you're going to lose what you feel you don't need and look awesome. Plus if she's 10lbs lighter than you and you look the same now, imagine how much better than her you'll look when you weigh the same!! :) be happy :)

haha same here! same height except I am 160 lb! I've been told to stop loosing weight, that I look to thin, then once I tell them my ACTUAL weight, there mouths literally drop LOL It just makes me laugh! I know I'm mostly muscle, so I just remind myself this (picture)

fat-v-muscle.jpg?w=300
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    you can rock a bikini..............nuff said :smokin:
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'M 5'7 AND FLOAT BETWEEN 190 AND 200 FOR THE TIME BEING. NO ONE BELIEVES ME WHEN I TELL THEM MY WEIGHT AND FRANKLY IT DOESN'T MATTER. WE ALL CARRY IT DIFFERENTLY AND SOME PEOPLE ATTATCH TO A SIZE OR NUMBER MORE THAN OTHERS.SOME PEOPLE ARE IN COMPLETE SIZE DENIAL.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I get that alot. I am 5' 9-10" and 223lbs, currently a size 16 pant.. That always surprises people because I carry my weight very well. As one co-worker said, I have "no rolls, just straight up and down weight" plus I have decent sized boobs to off set my tummy.

Take it as a compliment, what she is saying is that you look thinner! I love it when people think I weigh less than I really do!
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    At 5ft 8 and 154 you are well within a normal weight.........don't let the scale define you, feel good in your skin and move on!

^^^^^ this ^^^^^
    And besides, I bet you both carry your weight in completely differen ways. Don't let it bother you too much!
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Co-workers, man! They are on the rampage today! What I want to say to you is PLEASE don't listen to her, she is running her mouth because she is probably insecure of how she looks/jealous of how you look... and NOW I share this nonsense.

An older woman I work with every day comes in and says out of nowhere WOW, have you lost weight? And I reply, yes, actually, I've lost about 30 pounds since I started working here (I started in May of last year, I've been losing since September). ANd she goes, "well, that's great. Or maybe not so great since this is the first time I noticed it!"

What a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCH.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    People always think I weigh less...doesn't bother me.

I'll ask you this. Would you rather have someone say they thought you weighed less, or more???

I think if she would have said, "wow you only weigh xxx, I thought you weighed more than that." Then I would be upset. JMO
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Sounds like just writing this post made you get out the negative feelings and move on. If not, then you should...just let it go and continue to focus on yourself and your own weight loss.

I am 5'9 and weigh 245 lbs. I can't imagine what your co-worker would say about me!!!
  • dilleight
    dilleight Posts: 50
    Options
    I reckon she was taken by surprise because she genuinely thought you were lighter than her and that's why she thought it was OK to complain about her weight all that time. I'm always seeing people on here who weigh more than me and look far thinner because I'm small framed and not toned.