Anyone here in the "maintaining" phase of weight loss?

Options
I am now entering the final 20 pounds to my weight loss goal. Once I get there, I know that there is a different strategy/plan involved in order to "maintain" the weight loss rather than striving to keep losing pounds.

Having spent nearly my entire life obese, this is definitely the scariest part for me! I know that I should continue to eat the same healthy foods that got me there, but what about amounts? Do I just increase my caloric intake the day I hit my goal, or should I start easing into that now?

Any advice, suggestions, encouragement, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Just like everyone else who uses this website, the last thing I want to do is screw up after all this hard work and end up putting it all (or more) back on again :sad:

Thanks.

189891.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• kylie541
    kylie541 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm in maintance but i've continued to lose weight. I'm now underweight. Losing weight was the worst thing I ever did. I hope you can learn to lose weight and well done for getting to maintance :bigsmile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I am now entering the final 20 pounds to my weight loss goal. Once I get there, I know that there is a different strategy/plan involved in order to "maintain" the weight loss rather than striving to keep losing pounds.

Having spent nearly my entire life obese, this is definitely the scariest part for me! I know that I should continue to eat the same healthy foods that got me there, but what about amounts? Do I just increase my caloric intake the day I hit my goal, or should I start easing into that now?

Any advice, suggestions, encouragement, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Just like everyone else who uses this website, the last thing I want to do is screw up after all this hard work and end up putting it all (or more) back on again :sad:

Thanks.

189891.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

I'd kinda like to know the same thing!
    I reached my goal back in December, but for the last 5 months now, have just been yo-yoing with like 5 to 6 pounds, both ways! :laugh:
    I've decided I'd like to lose another 5 to 8, just to have alittle "leeway", seeing as how I LOVE food so much! :laugh: BUT, my body I guess doesn't seem to want to LET ME! :grumble:
    Hopefully, there's someone, or several someones, out there who know and will answer your thread. :smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I just hit maintenance yesterday :bigsmile: at long last!

The advice I got was to increase my daily calories by 100 or so every 2 weeks. I don't think you should start doing that until you are closer to or at your goal. 20 lbs doesn't seem like a lot when you've already lost so much, but it took me about 8 months to lose my last 20 lbs. If you increase your calories too much now, you'll slow your progress. Just make sure your goals are reasonable (ie- not set at 2 lbs a week. That's not really doable once you get close to maintenance)

good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I just hit maintenance yesterday :bigsmile: at long last!

The advice I got was to increase my daily calories by 100 or so every 2 weeks. I don't think you should start doing that until you are closer to or at your goal. 20 lbs doesn't seem like a lot when you've already lost so much, but it took me about 8 months to lose my last 20 lbs. If you increase your calories too much now, you'll slow your progress. Just make sure your goals are reasonable (ie- not set at 2 lbs a week. That's not really doable once you get close to maintenance)

good luck!:flowerforyou:

Wow! It looks like you lost almost 70 pounds right before your wedding? That's amazing! Congrats! (on both) (We got married August 16th but a few years ago :) )