MS and losing weight,

Options
I started this journey 2 years ago this month. I made myself a promise that this time it would work, I lost 35 pounds by Christmas of 2010, not working out normally. October of 2010, I had my Multiple Sclerosis medication changed to Copaxone, I put on almost 15 pounds that winter. Last Spring I got back on the wagon, went to the gym daily all summer for an hour or more, did cardio and some weights, ate 1300-1500 calories. LOST NOTHING!! I am a teacher so my gym visits were reduced when school started back up Fall 2011. I have been doing a better job of eating (1400-1500 calories daily). I konw flavored coffee was a big trigger, working on reducing that and bringing even more veggies in. I still can't get below 250 (my lowest weight was 239). I have looked to see if the Copaxone has weight issues, I know my anxiety medication does so my doctor and I are trying to bring the dosage down.

What I want to find is some others who may be on Copaxone or who are trying to lose weight with a disease that is not predicatable. I went from having to use a cart when I shopped every single time 2 years ago to being able to walk on a treadmill for 30 minutes and THEN walk through the grocery store. MS is a challenging disease if you are at a healthy weight, but trying to get to the healthy weight while dealing with MS is a bigger struggle than I expected. Anyone in the same or similar boat?

PB

Replies

• grantsmom08
    grantsmom08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My sister is on Copaxone and didn't gain weight with it but everyone is different. I was on Zoloft 2x in my life for anxiety and both times slowly gained 20-30 lbs...second time I realized what it was and stopped the meds!
  • nemsmom
    nemsmom Posts: 48
    Options
    I'm not on Copaxone, but I am struggling to lose weight. I was really getting going with exercise and doing great, then my MS decided that wasn't okay and had to join the party. Now I'm trying to stay active at least some without pushing myself too hard!

I wish I had advice for you, all I can offer is understanding and support.
  • heidelbergerin
    heidelbergerin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with MS in January this year and my walking is really starting to become affected. I'm sure this is down to my weight. I'm on rebif, three-times a week and am struggling with back pain a lot. I'm on neurontin (600mg 3 x day) and I also take medication for anxiety. I have PCOS, which is also a problem and I want my doctor to put me back on the metformin (I came off it while they were diagnosing the MS).
    OK well... would be good to keep track between us. I hope things are going well for you!
  • littlek735
    littlek735 Posts: 28
    Options
    i was diagnosed 3 years ago. I began excercising regularly at this point, but I still struggle with my weight. I am 15-20 lbs overweight, but can't seem to get it off. If I push my body too hard, too fast, it revolts and causes me to not excercise at all. I have 3 young boys, 13,10,6 which keep me extremely busy while I work full time. I have had to make excercising a priority, but at the same time, it is frustrating because of my limitations of effort.
  • sugarbabyloveuk
    Options
    I'm in MY 6th year with the monster, the weight has piled on and my mobility has suffered.. My balance is a main issue in most forms of trying to keep on the move & I normally end up on my *kitten*. I push myself too much & the monster goes into payback the next day .. I need help to break this cycle so I can get my life back ..
  • bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    x for later
  • Adora14
    Adora14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I was around 150 and on Copaxon for the ms. I'm 29. Ive been dieting hard and walking daily with a lot of success. I know I eat under the recommend amount eating between 500 and 1000 cal a day, and that's usually just two meals but for a food addict like me it's the only thing that's worked. I really don't have the will power for 6 small meals a day. Stick with it, my symptoms have very nearly disappeared. Whatever you do don't work out in the grips of a bad flare up though. I learned that the hard way.