I found the answer for my body!

Options
asltiffm
asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
After years of trying to lose those last 20 lbs...almost reaching my goal and gaining it all back, I have finally figured out the answer. Maybe this will help someone else, who knows. Let me preface this by saying I was highly motivated to make these changes because of several food sensetivities but I believe that even those who don't have these sensitivities would benefit from these changes. First, I gave up refined sugar and all artifical sweetners (I still use small amounts of agave nectar, honey or pure pale syrup sometimes). Then I gave up gluten. I tried a few gluten free replacements but they were gross so I gave up on them. Then I gave up dairy. I have also cut back on meat/eggs to 1-2 times a week. It was so tough at first but as my body began to feel normal and function normally again, I was motivated to cut out more and more. Now, I only eat fruit, veggies, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds and a little meat/eggs. I make a mistake every now and then but I do adhere 100% to gluten & dairy free as they are my main culprits. I do exercise (gardening, walking/running the dogs most days, biking when I get a chance) but I am not working out at all. When I first signed up for MFP a couple years ago, I had my goal weight at 146. I just never could quite reach that, even when working out for 2 hours a day plus my normal exercise. Finally, I have not only reached it, I have passed it by and am in the 130's for the first time since my growth spurt in junior high!

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everybody's path is different. Good you found what works for you. It looks like you had less than 20 pounds to lose overall. Perhaps a larger person would need a more aggressive plan.
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    yay! I'm glad you found what worked for you! That is basically the same diet I am on and boy do the pounds fly off! It is pretty hard, but so worth it if it makes you well again!!
  • sethandjane
    sethandjane Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters - it is AWESOME that you found what works for you, not only to lose weight but FEEL GREAT! :)

I am on the Primal/Paleo lifestyle, so I eat more meat/eggs and some dairy obviously, but after cutting out the gluten and other crap I feel better as well.

I hate when others on the boards knock you for what's working for you, just because it might not have worked for them or "conventional wisdom" told them it's "unhealthy/not right."

Again, congrats!!!
    :) Jane
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Very similar to my diet. I do eat some sugar and no meat, but I am also grain free, dairy free, etc. For me there was no resulting weight loss (in fact, whenever I take something out of my diet I tend to gain weight, making up for it elsewhere or experimenting with new recipes!) But I do feel better and get sick less.