Bran Muffins

Options
Does anyone know a good healthy recipe for a Bran Muffin? I've found loads on the internet but none show how many calories, fat etc are in them.. can someone help? :)

Replies

• Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite recipe. Very filling, high in fiber and protein, without any "scoops" of things I don't already have in my pantry. I was actually tweeking it yesterday to add a smidge more calories (I am aiming for 150 each) so I can use them as a small meal or hearty snack. Adjust as you please.

2 cups All-Bran Original Cereal (320 cal/ 40 fiber/ 16 protein/ 4 fat)
    1 1/4 cups skim milk (107 cal/ 10 protein/ 1 fat)
    1 cup whole wheat flour (400 cal/ 12 fiber/ 16 protein/ 2 fat)
    1/2 cup sugar (387 cal)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    1 egg (70 cal/ 6 protein/ 5 fat)
    1/4 cup natural applesauce (25 cal/ 1 fiber )
    1/2 cup craisins (195 cal/ 4.5 fiber)
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    6 Tablespoons sliced almonds (258 cal/ 12 fiber/ 12 protein/ 26 fat)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin.
    Combine cereal and milk. Set aside to soften for 5 minutes. You could add the craisins at this point too.
    Stir together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
    Add applesauce, egg, and vanilla to cereal/milk. Mix well.
    Add flour mix. Stir until combined. Fold in craisins if you didn't add them yet. Fill 12 muffin cups. Top each with 1/2 Tablespoon of almonds.
    Bake approx 17 minutes.

For 12 muffins, they end up at 147 calories, 5.8 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein, and 3 grams of fat.

You could adjust parts like fewer or more craisins (or other dried fruit) and cut out the almonds if you don't want them.

Hope this is what you were looking for! :)
  • Ang_79
    Ang_79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • apollard727
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Think i might try this out tomorrow! Thanks
  • 811mimi
    811mimi Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you want some bran muffin recipes go to www.eatingwell.com . There are lots of recipes and they have the nutrional breakdowns for you. ;-)
  • Jensenstarr
    Options
    I just made these but with half Splenda half sugar in the raw ... And I replaced the craisins and almonds withfrozen blueberries . I used 35 cal unsweetened almond milk too.
    So a few minor changes...

But they turned out Absolutely DELICIOUS!! I've been searching high and low for a bran muffin recipe like this! Thanks for posting! Also... Mine were about 75cal a piece !

This is my favorite recipe. Very filling, high in fiber and protein, without any "scoops" of things I don't already have in my pantry. I was actually tweeking it yesterday to add a smidge more calories (I am aiming for 150 each) so I can use them as a small meal or hearty snack. Adjust as you please.

2 cups All-Bran Original Cereal (320 cal/ 40 fiber/ 16 protein/ 4 fat)
    1 1/4 cups skim milk (107 cal/ 10 protein/ 1 fat)
    1 cup whole wheat flour (400 cal/ 12 fiber/ 16 protein/ 2 fat)
    1/2 cup sugar (387 cal)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tablespoon baking powder
    1 egg (70 cal/ 6 protein/ 5 fat)
    1/4 cup natural applesauce (25 cal/ 1 fiber )
    1/2 cup craisins (195 cal/ 4.5 fiber)
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    6 Tablespoons sliced almonds (258 cal/ 12 fiber/ 12 protein/ 26 fat)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tin.
    Combine cereal and milk. Set aside to soften for 5 minutes. You could add the craisins at this point too.
    Stir together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
    Add applesauce, egg, and vanilla to cereal/milk. Mix well.
    Add flour mix. Stir until combined. Fold in craisins if you didn't add them yet. Fill 12 muffin cups. Top each with 1/2 Tablespoon of almonds.
    Bake approx 17 minutes.

For 12 muffins, they end up at 147 calories, 5.8 grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein, and 3 grams of fat.

You could adjust parts like fewer or more craisins (or other dried fruit) and cut out the almonds if you don't want them.

Hope this is what you were looking for! :)