How to cut down on carbs ?

So I literally live on carbs in the form of bread! That's all I seem to eat these days. So does anyone have any ideas on how to cut down on carbs ?

I put what I ate in my food diary today.. and so far I have ate 136 carbs and my recommended amount is 165...so clearly I am eating a lot of carbs!! (especially since I haven't even had my dinner yet!)

Replies

• aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 994 Member
    bump
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    I know for breads we get a low Carb wheat bread and low Carb pasta called dreamfeilds
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Let's see, so you eat a lot of carbs from bread, and you want to cut down on carbs.

This is a difficult one, let me think about this and get back to you.
  • shortsj
    shortsj Posts: 2
    You are going to have to check the label on everything. I believe that bread, rice, pasta, corn are high in carb. Instead of eating bread subsitute.
  • Blanche76
    Blanche76 Posts: 89 Member
    Try using wraps for sandwhiches instead of bread, very low carbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Start by switching to whole grains. Wheat or rye bread instead of white. WHOLE wheat wraps instead of bread.... and give bun less a try from time to time. Lettuce wraps are good!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    You need more protein and veggies. Try lean protein, like chicken, tuna/other fish, lean beef, tofu, beans, edamame, etc. Make sure you meet your protein needs, then worry about the rest later. Try eating nuts/yogurt/cottage cheese/sliced deli meat, etc....

Carbs are like crack, the more you eat, the more you crave.

But they are good for you in moderation, unlike crack, which is never good for you.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    You need more protein and veggies. Try lean protein, like chicken, tuna/other fish, lean beef, tofu, beans, edamame, etc. Make sure you meet your protein needs, then worry about the rest later. Try eating nuts/yogurt/cottage cheese/sliced deli meat, etc....

Carbs are like crack, the more you eat, the more you crave.

But they are good for you in moderation, unlike crack, which is never good for you.

Good advice my friend :flowerforyou:

Remember kiddos, Crack is whack!
  • Charliesuccess
    Charliesuccess Posts: 181 Member
    Have you ever tried Ezekiel bread? Very very low on carbs and filling..its in the freezer section of your grocery store or Whole foods market
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Let's see, so you eat a lot of carbs from bread, and you want to cut down on carbs.

Did you figure it out yet? Maybe I can help you figure it out - two heads are better than one. WE CAN DO THIS
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Have you ever tried Ezekiel bread? Very very low on carbs and filling..its in the freezer section of your grocery store or Whole foods market
    GREAT advice. They are super nutritious and *naturally* lower in carbs. I vote for this.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member

Did you figure it out yet? Maybe I can help you figure it out - two heads are better than one. WE CAN DO THIS

I'm thinking she should start be eating less vegetables
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member

I'm thinking she should start be eating less vegetables

There's another thread going about avoiding eggs (or maybe just egg yolks). That sounds promising- I think the OP should avoid eggs to cut down on the carbs.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    i'm a fan of carb too!! it makes me full and satisfied which meat and veggie can't give me.. i'm not a big fan of meat so i rely on carb for energy.. i also eat nuts and things like that but i still love my carb and i eat way too much!!!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member

Haha... Yeah I'm racking my brain here.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the only solution.
    Replace bread with meat and vegetables. Problem solved! Hooray!

To toffee above: Relying on bread to make you feel full is a double-edged sword because eating a lot of carbohydrates leads to a crash where you feel hungry again shortly afterward. I'm not against carbs, but if they make up a huge part of your diet then appetite is going to be an ongoing problem for you.
  • FWIW - I've recently gotten rid of gluten. Entirely, in my diet. It may sound extreme, but once you get into it it's far easier than it sounds. I found, and you may as well, that wheat is a trigger for additional cravings for you.

I love bread. I eat bread. I want more bread. It's a vicious cycle ... I find that if I entirely stay away form gluten grains and refined carbs ... my cravings go away entirely. (As so headaches which I suffer from chronically, but that's separate.)

Even if you don't go gluten-free, I have to echo what everyone else has said - cut carbs, add lean protein and veggies. Go with only whole grain baked goods with NO ADDED CRAP. You'll eat less of it because it's more filling -and I think they taste great.

If you find you crave carbs, you may want to avoid/limit high-sugar fruits, as well. Watch for hidden carb triggers, as well - for some artificial sweeteners make them crave carbs.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Eat more fat.
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    I cant see your diary
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member

Lol