Core Exercises: when and how often should I do them?

Options
I have been working out pretty hard over the past 3 months or so. I have been doing a kickboxing class at La Boxing for about 3 months and I started Insanity about a month ago, about to enter the 2nd part. All this working out that I do has some core exercises involved and sometimes I am doing them over 4 times a week. All I have been doing is pretty much cardio workouts.

I am wanting to know when is the best time to do core exercises, before or after workouts and how many times a week I should be doing them.

There are no weights involved just my own body weight. I am just trying to maximize my efforts and not overtrain the muscles.

Replies

• cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I dont do isolated ab workouts more than twice a week. Most of the time only once a week. Just like any other muscle group, you CAN overtrain your abdominals.

I find that doing abs at the end of my workout to be most beneficial. I usually work the largest muscle groups first with compound movements and then move to more isolated exercises on specific muscles.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    it's mostly cardio workouts right now, so I don't ever really focus on one main muscle group. The only time I think that is happening is when I'm doing my core exercises. Even doing core exercises like planks, scissors, leg lifts and crunches can only be limited to 1 or 2 days a week?
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I would start incorporating some strength training to your routine. Even body weight exercises will be very beneficial and hit your core. Things like walking lunges, squats, etc.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I plan to add strength training to my workouts. I am just wanting to finish my first time through Insanity as strong as I can. I know that the strength training will inhibit that because of the time that I will need to allow my body to rest. Not to mention the weakness from the sore muscles. Heheh. Believe me, I really want to add the strength training and I'm growing impatient. These next few weeks can't be done soon enough,.